Sunday, July 17, 2011

Easy Marinara Sauce


Since my last recipe was so time consuming, I wanted to do something a bit simpler this time. Well, this recipe had the word easy in the title so I was instantly drawn to it. Also, I have always just opened up a can of marinara sauce and have never gone through the work to make my own. Now I can say the opposite!
I made this a few days ago, but waited to post it since I will be leaving tomorrow at 5am to go watch my soldier graduate! Don't know when I'll make something next and didn't want the gap to be too long. :)

This recipe is healthy, easy, and overall delicious! Paired with Whole Grain pasta this dish made for a low calorie, yet flavorful dinner!

I didn't take too many pictures with this recipe because there weren't that many opportunities, it's that easy. :)

Easy Marinara Sauce
Women's Day Special - Eating Light Volume XX - Issue 1
Ingredients:

1 large onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 cans (28 oz each) no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp dried Italian herb blend (or 2 tsp dried basil plus 2 tsp dried oregano)
1/2 tsp crused red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Liberally coat a 5-quart saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
  2. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, just until beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes.
  3. Stir in the garlic and balsamic vinegar and cook for 1 minute.
  4. Add the tomatoes, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 
Makes 14 servings (serving size 1/2 cup)
Nutrition: Calories 51, Protein 2g, Carbs 9g, Fiber 2g, Fat 0g, Sodium 20mg

Ronzoni Heathy Harvest Pasta - Whole Grain Rotini (Serving size: 2 oz [3/4 cups])
Nutrition: Calories 180g, Fat 1g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 0mg, Carbs 41g, Protein 7g

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

This looks good! Do you think it's cheaper than buying the jarred sauce?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...