Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Gooey Butter Cake with Dried Blueberries


Oh man did it feel good to get back into blogging. Knowing that I was going to share this recipe felt good, and made me try so much harder while making it. Of course I always have to remind everyone that I am not a professional and I make mistakes. This cake was supposed to be a little more under cooked than in the pictures. I mentioned before that we just moved into a house. This house was built in the 80's so some of the appliances are a little older. We are still trying to get used to the stove. It gets so much hotter than any other stove I have used! I have burned more things in the month we have lived here than in the last few years I have started cooking. 

All I ask is be patient with me as I get used to these new appliances and actually remember to take pictures. I almost forgot to take pictures of the dinner I made tonight. :)



This cake was definitely a buttery cake. With that much butter you really can't miss it, but I think it adds more to the texture than the taste. The filling was creamy and nutty, which made the dried fruit really pop out. By the way I could not find dried blueberries for the life of me. All I could find were the dried cranberries with blueberry flavor. None of that though hurt this delectable dessert in any way. One thing I will advise is eat this cake at room temperature. I took a small piece to work and put it in the fridge with the rest of my lunch. It was still yummy, but had gotten hard and chewy. Definitely devour this at room temperature. Also I believe the cake got better as it sat, which is for sure a plus if you need to make it ahead of time. :) 









Gooey Butter Cake with Dried Blueberries
adapted from Simply Delicious the Costco Way cookbook

Ingredients:
1 18 1/4oz package yellow cake mix
1 large egg
8 tablespoon butter, melted
Filling
8 oz 1/3 fat cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 tablespoon butter, melted
1 5oz bag dried blueberries
1-2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, egg, and cooled melted butter. Mix well with an electric beater. Pat the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
  3. Prepare the filling: In a large bowl, beat the bream cheese until smooth. Add eggs, vanilla, and cooled melted butter; beat until blended. Carefully stir in dried blueberries with rubber spatula. Mix in sugar one cup at a time, tasting as you go making sure it doesn't get too sweet. *
  4. Pour the filling over the cake batter. Bake for 40-30 minutes. Do not overbake-the center should be a little gooey.
  5. Serve at room temperature.
Serves 6-8.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...