Sunday, June 15, 2014

Open Faced Enchilada Veggie Quesadillas


Well, I have decided to go back to calorie counting. When I lost weight a few years ago that was one of the ways I was able to stay on track. Ever since we have moved here to Colorado, I have been slacking on my eating and exercise habits. I will still exercise now and then, but a routine would never stick. So I have decided to try something I know helped me in the past. Honestly, even after a few days of counting I do feel loads better! There really isn't anything bad about calorie counting, but my big sweet tooth has to be tamed that is for sure. I have to find different ways to curb my sweet cravings. Small pieces of chocolate, a bite of a lemon bar, fruit...etc. If you are thinking about calorie counting it does take a lot of will power and a good workout routine. Start out with an easy daily goal and then work down from there. Then add in whatever workout you did for that day and you will be able to eat a little more too. 

Enough about my crazy self! On to delicious food!!


These are a fast and healthy way to get in any enchiladas cravings. Being an "open faced" quesadilla helps lower calories and fat. You could also call these a tostada really. Oh man, tostadas remind so much of my childhood. My mom would make them all the time. Wow they were delicious! Now that I am older I have steered from the basic recipe I had all the time. There are so many thing you can do with a tostada, oh excuse me, an Open Faced Quesadilla. :)











Open Faced Enchilada Veggie Quesadillas
adapted from tastykitchen.com

Ingredients:
4 whole wheat flour tortillas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 whole medium onions, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
1 1/2 cup diced bell pepper, 3 different colored bell peppers (1/2 cup each)
1/4 cup enchilada sauce
1/2 cup black olives, chopped
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1/4 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
1/4 cup sour cream for garnish, if desired

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Place tortillas on an ungreased baking sheet, lightly spray each with cooking spray, and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 5-6 minutes, or until they are puffed and begin to turn golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Prick any bubbles with a fork and press down as flat as it will go. Keep the oven on.
  2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions turn translucent and begin to caramelize (about 8-10 minutes). When the onions are almost done, add the diced peppers and cook just until they being to soften. Remove from heat.
  3. Spoon about 1-2 tablespoons of enchiladas sauce over each of the baked tortillas. Top with the onions and pepper mixture, olives, and cheese. Place back in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until cheese has melted. Garnish with cilantro and sour cream. Serve immediately. 
Serves 4

Nutrition: (per quesadilla) Calories 329; Fat 19g; Protein 13g; Carbs 30mg; Cholesterol 26mg; Fiber 6

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...