Tuesday, July 1, 2014

4th of July Cheesecake Yogurt Cupcakes


The 4th of July is a great time of year. Cold weather has finally moved away, and the sun shows it's face a little more. Grill parties are definitely a staple when the weather gets nice. The fresh ingredients that come out at this time of year are also why summer is great!

For some reason, the month of July has always put me in a good mood.  If we were back in Washington we would have been to at least two baseball games already. (Excuse me while I day dream about garlic fries and soft pretzels.) I love seeing the American pride everywhere too. That might be because we are a military family. Ever since my husband enlisted, holidays like the 4th of July and Memorial Day have a whole new meaning. I take pride knowing my husband is spending everyday doing what he does in part to work toward his dream, and sacrificing so much in order to do so.


You know, I may be feeling all "Let's go America" because of the World Cup going on right now. We are huge Seattle Sounders fans, and have been cheering on the players that have made it onto the USA team. Being able to watch the USA go as far as they did was awesome! Of course I wish they could have gone further. :(


 So with it being 4th of July, I had to make something delicious, and within the color scheme. With my current calorie counting phase I had to find something not to high in calories. One of the food blogs that inspired me to start mine was Skinnytaste. The entire blog has exotic recipes and comfort food twists that are all lower in calories and other things. Whenever I need to find a quick recipe, that I know will be healthy for me, I always resort to this blog. For this year's holiday treat I was excited to find a cheesecake with less than 100 calories. Yes, I said cheesecake and less than 100 calories in the same sentence. :)


Not only were these easy to make, but oh man are they delicious. You would never know these little sweet cups are 98 calories a piece. Plus, with strawberries and blueberries they are just the cutest little Red, White, and Blue desserts!

Yay for America and healthy treats!!

These are ingredients you would definitely have in your pantry!

Using vanilla wafers as a crust saves you time and calories!

Do not over beat the mixture. You want an airy and smooth cheesecake.

To fill the cupcake liners, I put a heaping tablespoon into each cup. Then I went around and added another 1/2 tablespoon to each, or ones that looked lighter. You want to make sure they are all at least half full.


I just want to show everyone this fantastic dessert, and make sure you check out Skinnytaste!
To find the recipe and detailed instructions go here.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...