Sunday, April 29, 2012

Strawberry & Broccoli Orzo Pasta Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Vinaigrette


This weekend has been relaxing. I have done lots of cooking, along with a lot of absolutely nothing. Lazy days are one of my favorites. Of course once I start feeling like I haven't been active I get up and do a half hour workout, but hey that is less than 3% of my day. After the workout I don't feel bad about just sitting around blogging, or looking up recipes online. Plus, I'm not trying to lose weight, just get toned, so short intense workouts are really all that I need. I feel great after them, and I have lots of time left in the day to do what I please. Today that means I get to recipe search and cook as much as I want. :)

Recently I have been on a kick to try new things. This time I had a craving for orzo. No I have never tried it before this recipe, and don't ask me why I was craving something I have never eaten. I found this simple recipe and I thought it would be a good chance for me to finally try orzo pasta. Normally I don't like pasta salads. Cold pasta kind of weirds me out, but I thought that a pasta salad with orzo wouldn't be that bad. It wasn't! I had it for lunch three days in a row, and I had no regrets. Low in calories, great source of protein, and you get fruit and veggies all in one dish. A light and healthy lunch always makes me feel great the rest of the day! 




If you are like me and hate chopping broccoli because the little green "leaves" get everywhere and it's all messy, try this! I take the very point of the knife and make small slits in the stem, very close to the top. I then just pull it apart and you have tiny little broccoli. The "leaves" stay in place, and you don't have a pile of them sitting on your cutting board.  

Shake it up!
All my mixings are ready, just waiting for the pasta to cook. :) 



Strawberry & Broccoli Orzo Pasta Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
Sweet Treats and More


Ingredients:
 For salad:
3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1 cup fresh strawberry chunks or slices
3/4 cup chopped fresh broccoli
1/4 cup slivered almonds
salt and pepper to taste

For vinaigrette:
1 tablespoon squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1 teaspoon sugar or honey
dash of salt and pepper

Directions:
  1. Cook orzo pasta until al dente. 
  2. Meanwhile, place all vinaigrette ingredients in a small tuber-ware bowl. Cover and shake until combined. 
  3. Drain pasta, and rinse with cold water to cool off. Place in a medium size bowl and toss in strawberries, broccoli, and almonds gently. 
  4. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition: Calories 283; Fat 12g; Protein 8g; Carbs 40g; Cholesterol 0mg; Fiber 4g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...