Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Quick Praline Bars



Once again I was off visiting my soldier all the way across the country. Probably one of the best weekends ever, as I became a Mrs! Of course the week or so before I was stressing and worry about plans, so I had a couple recipes stocked up. I knew I wouldn't be able to get into the kitchen the week before, or even the week after. Thankfully everything went just as I had imagined it! After looking at all of the 300+ pictures I am surprised my cheeks didn't fall off from all the smiling. They definitely hurt after the long photo session afterwards. 
Now when I look up recipes I won't be thinking, "My boyfriend will love this!"...nope I can say, "My husband will love this!" Still sounds strange to me! These next two months, before he comes home, I will be stocking up on my repertoire of recipes. From whole turkeys, to layered chocolate cakes. I need to have a brain full of good foods to cook when he gets home!

These bars really passed my expectation. I was so surprised at how sweet they were. It's just the right amount of sweet really. When I looked at the recipe I thought it would taste more nutty or cracker like. Nope. These were sweet and salty, and everything your taste buds could desire! My bowl of them were used for a tailgating party, but I made sure to bring plenty home for me. That bowl was gone in two days. I couldn't stop going back for more! :)  

P.S. Again this was a day that I cooked three recipes, and spent hours in the kitchen, so my camera got pushed to the side and was forgotten till the end. One of the most simple recipes though!


I would like to have used regular brown sugar, but all I had was Splenda. It worked just fine.
 







Quick Praline Bars (printer friendly version)
Betty Crocker's Healthy New Choices


Ingredients:
24 graham cracker squares
1/2 cup pack brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans (chopped almonds or cashews may also be used)


Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 350'. Arrange graham crackers in single layer in ungreased jelly roll pan, 15 1/2x 10 1/2x 1 inch. 
  2. Heat brown sugar and margarine to boiling in 2-quart saucepan. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in vanilla
  3. Pour sugar mixture over crackers; spread evenly. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until bubble; cool slightly. 
Makes 2 dozen bars
Nutrition: (serving size: 1 bar) Calories 95; Fat 6g; Chol 0mg; Carb 10g; Protein 0g

1 comment:

sqnm211 said...

I had these for the first time while tailgating. The truely are fantastic. I'm adding this recipe to my arsenal.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...