Thursday, October 27, 2011

How to deseed a pomegranate!


It's fall and that means it's Pomegranate season! Every year I look forward to finding these bright red orbs of deliciousness in the store. Not only are they a great source of fiber and vitamin c, they are utterly delicious. Tangy and tart, yet oh so sweet. 

As much as I love this fruit, it took me a while to master the art of deseeding one. I spent much time watching videos and reading other blogs. So I thought I would share what I have learned!

A few tips before you get started:

When shopping, always go for the ones that are the heaviest! The heavier the fruit, the more juice it has. I spent a good 5 minutes weighing them with my hands, then when I couldn't tell the difference between two, I put them on the scale. I am very serious about my pomegranates. 
Also, try to get ones that are firmer. Avoid ones with bruises and soft spots. 

Make sure you wear something you wouldn't mind getting a few spots on. The juice of a pomegranate stains very easily. 
Make sure your surface is protected. This also goes for when you are eating the seeds. If you have a very light carpet be careful not to drop a seed and then step on it. 


This is all you need! A sharp knife and a bowl deep enough to put your hands in, and of course some pomegranates!

Fill the bowl with luke warm water. The temperature is only for your convenience. You don't want to put your hands in freezing cold water right?

Carefully make evenly spaced deep lacerations around the pomegranate, from the top to the bottom. This particular one had nice lines to follow. 
Look at that beautiful deep red color. Exactly what you want!
With the pomegranate submerged under water, carefully pull apart at the seams.  Gently (still under water) remove the seeds from the membrane, trying not to pop them. You will start to notice the seeds starting to sink and the membrane rising to the surface. 
Continue this process until you have all of the seeds at the bottom of your bowl. With your hands sift the larger pieces of floating membrane from the water and dispose. To get the smaller pieces, I found it easier to slowly pour the water through a mesh colander, stopping just before the seeds fell out. This helps remove those pesky little bits of membrane from getting mixed in with the seeds.  
After a bit of rinsing, you have these juicy red rubies!
To store; put your seeds in an air tight container and keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
To freeze; spread out the seeds on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and place in the freezer up to two hours. Once frozen, place seeds in a freezer bag or container. Let thaw for an hour or two before eating.

I have actually never used pomegranates in a recipe before (I plan to one day!). The seeds have always been my favorite part, so I just go straight for those. If you are looking for some recipes to use, here are a couple of good places to start looking.

AllRecipes: Best Fresh Pomegranate Recipes 
Martha Stewart: Seasonal Recipe Guide - Pomegranates
About.com: Home Cooking

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...