Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese


Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Right now my turkey is in the oven getting nice and golden brown. My stuffing is keeping warm and my cheesecake is chilling in the fridge. I am set for a huge Turkey Day dinner!

I thought this out of the box (not literally) mac and cheese dish would be a great addition to any fall meal. Pumpkin, as you all know, is my favorite and I was so excited when I realized you could put it in mac and cheese. When I told people I made this, their first reaction was, "That's weird." Really though, it was fantastic. The pumpkin was not to strong, but with the nutmeg and paprika seasoning you definitely get the great fall flavor. It was so cheesy and gooey. I loved it!

I hope everyone has a great Holiday and gets to spend time with the ones they love. :)








Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese
adapted from gimmie some oven

Ingredients:
1 (12 oz) can 2% evaporated milk
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
12 oz uncooked elbow pasta
2 1/4 cup reduced fat/part skim cheese (I used Italian blend)
1/4 cup panko bread cups

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400. Spray a 2 qt baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta, and then return back to pot. 
  3. While the pasta is cooking, in a separate bowl, whisk together the evaporate milk, pumpkin, eggs, paprika, chili powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper until combined. Once the pasta is cooked and drained, pour the evaporated milk mixture into the pot with the pasta and stir until combined. Continue cooking over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3-4 minutes, or until sauce comes to a simmer and thickens.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of the cheese until melted and evenly-distributed.
  5. Pour into prepared baking dish and sprinkle top with bread crumbs and the remaining cheese. 
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and the breadcrumbs are toasted. Remove from oven and serve immediately. 

1 comment:

My Crazy American Dream said...

Yum! that looks so good!! I will have to try this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...