Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Low Fat Tamale Pie


Looks like I'm taking a break from all the pumpkin to get me a little bit of mexican. I love mexican food! Probably because I am half mexican, and I have been around homemade tortillas and tamales my entire life. I previously posted a cheese tamale recipe and believe me handmade tamales are definitely the way to go. Although, they do take a lot of time. You really have to set aside an entire day. I have seen tamale pie recipes everywhere and I was curious. I also had my mother asking me almost every week to make this. So I finally caved and decided to get it a try.

Compared to the traditional way to make tamales this was so simple and very delicious. You still get that great flavor of homemade tamales, but without all the time and still healthy for you!




Be very patient when mixing the cornmeal. Keep stirring so it doesn't burn and eventually it will thicken up. I didn't have my burner up high enough so I was standing there stirring for a while before I realized it was futile unless I turned up the heat. :)



Low Fat Tamale Pie
lowfatcooking.com

Ingredients:
Filling:
2 teaspoon canola oil
1 medium onion
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 lbs lean turkey (or extra lean ground beef)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 (16oz) can corn (drained)
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
1 (4 oz) can sliced olives

Crust:
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 quart fat-free milk
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheese (monterey jack, pepper jack, or mexican blend)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400ยบ.
  2. Saute onions and pepper in a large skillet over medium heat till fragrant. Add meat, breaking it up, cooking until no longer pink. Drain liquid. Add chili powder, corn, chilies and olive. Simmer for 20 minutes. 
  3. Meanwhile, combine cornmeal, salt and milk in a 2 quart saucepan. Heat on medium-high and until thickened, stirring continuously. Spread cornmeal over top of meat and vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese. Place on baking sheet and back for 20-25 minutes, until top is golden.
Serves 8
Nutrition: Calories 369; Fat 8.3g; Cholesterol 42mg; Carb 49.5g; Protein 23.9g; Fiber 6.8g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...