Monday, March 17, 2014

Slow Cooker French Dip


My slow cooker is one of my favorite appliances in my kitchen. If I could cook everyday with it I would! Pretty sure if I got determined enough I could find nonstop recipes that would allow me to use this beauty all the time. For now I don't have an infinite number of slow cooker recipes but I do have this gem right here. 


I only discovered french dips a few years ago. For some reason I was never drawn to a gigantic sandwich that you have to dip into a sauce. It just seemed really messy to me. Then I had my first one and I was ashamed of myself for never having one before. If you are looking for a really good french dip at a restaurant, it is hard to find. There have been many a time where I order one and it just doesn't do it. So I decided to try making one myself. The only problem, my slow cooker gets hot way to fast. The meat for me was a little on the dry side, but that won't happen to you if you know your slow cooker and adjust the cooking time. Find whatever cheese you want to top it with and whatever peppers you like. So many choices.











Slow Cooker French Dip with Caramelized Onions
adapted from Skinnytaste.com

Ingredients:
3-4 lbs lean beef round roast, trimmed 
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (1 teaspoon dry)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme (1 teaspoon dry)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2-3 (14.5oz) cans Swanson's low-sodium beef broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1/2 large onion, cut into chunks
1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into strips
1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into strips
Reduced fat Pepper jack cheese slices (can use provolone or mozzarella)
Whole wheat baguette or rolls

For caramelized onions
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 large onions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:
  1. In a small bowl mix garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Rub the spice mixture onto all sides of the roast, then place in the slow cooker.
  2. Pour broth over the roast until it just covers the meat. Add water if it doesn't cover. Top with onions. Add the Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf to the broth. Cover and cook on low until the meat flakes apart easily with a fork, about 9-12 hours, depending on the size of your roast. 
  3. An hour before the meat is done, prepare the onions and peppers. In a large nonstick skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and salt, cook until golden, stirring often. Reduce heat as needed if the onions are burning or browning too quickly, about 30-35 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan if it becomes too dry. The onions should turn golden and the flavor should be sweet. Transfer to a serving bowl, then add the peppers to the skillet and cook stirring often until soft, 8-10 minutes.
  4. Remove the meat from the slow cooker to a cutting board and shred with a fork or slice with a knife. Strain the broth through a fine sieve and set aside for a few minutes. Skim off the fat that goes to the top and pour 1/4 cup into small ramekins.
  5. Preheat the oven to broil. Split the bread open and top with 2oz of beef. Top with onions, peppers, and cheese; broil until the cheese melts. Place on a plate with broth for dipping. 

Serves 6-10 (depending on roast size)
Nutrition: Calories 308; Fat 9g; Carb 31g; Fiber 1g; Protein 29g; Cholesterol 40mg


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...