Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Low-Calorie Dark Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies


I have been making these cookies for almost 2 years now. The original recipe I had found online. Over the years I have played around with the ingredients and now I make these when I'm craving a delicious, but not loaded with calories, treat. Recently I have made them for my husband whenever I go to visit him, or send in a care package. They are really easy to ship, and they are nutritious too, and even sweeter.

Every time I end up with 45-50 cookies a batch and I am overwhelmed. I think, "How will I finish all of these." Please!! They are always gone before the week is up. I eat one in the morning, then I just grab one for a snack in the middle of the day, and then of course nibble on one while I make dinner. At that rate they disappear in a flash. Seriously, when you have one you can't stop. I might have to make a double batch next because this last time I gave more than half to my soldier, I left hardly any for myself. How silly of me, but someone half-way across the world was happy. :)






Using a tablespoon measure helps make the cookies even in size. Make sure you use clean, dry hands to roll the dough (yes, it is required to get messy this time!)

Flatten the balls slightly before placing on the baking sheet. 



I forget how good these cookies are every time I make them.  My go-to recipe when I'm craving cookies! :)
Low-Calorie Dark Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies


Ingredients:
1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter softened (Do not melt in microwave)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar (1/2 cup brown sugar substitute like Splenda)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (1/4 cup sugar substitute)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cup oats (quick or old fashioned)
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ
  2. Beat butter and sugars in large bowl until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
  3. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Add to sugar mixture in gradually, do not add all at once.  
  4. Mix in oats and chocolate chips with spatula. Using a heaping tablespoons, shape into balls and flatten slightly. 
  5. Bake 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. 
Makes 40 cookies.
Nutrition: (per cookie) Calories 95; Fat 3g; Protein 1g; Cholesterol 11mg; Fiber 1g
*These stats are based on my use of Splenda Brown Sugar and regular Fine Granulated Sugar. Nutrition may vary based on your choice of ingredients. 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...