Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Home-made Protein Cookies


I am still on my protein kick. It's become a bit of a habit to choose foods with high protein. Recently I had to go out and buy more protein powder and I chose a strawberry flavored one. When I tried the chocolate flavor it tasted just like chocolate milk, so of course I thought the strawberry would taste like strawberry milk. Sounded amazing to me, until I actually used it with milk. Not cool. Well, now I have a 2lb tub of strawberry protein powder that I will have to find ways to use. You will be seeing many recipes that include protein powder for sure!

These cookies are peanutty and messy! I love grabbing one on my way out the door for a quick snack that will help curb my hunger for an hour or more. You can hardly tell there is protein powder inside because the peanut butter masks that flavor, if you aren't a fan. 

I doubled my recipe so I was able to send some to my soldier and have some left for me. :)








Home-made Protein Cookies
adapted from omnomally.com


Ingredients:
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons protein powder (soy, whey, rice, and/or pea protein)
1/3 cup agave syrup
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325ยบ; grease or line a cookie pan. 
  2. Mix all ingredients well in a large bowl.
  3. Form little balls of mixture in hands (about 1 tablespoon for each cookie) and place on a baking sheet.
  4. Flatten slightly with your hand and bake for 10-12 minutes until puffed up and golden brown. Cool for a few minutes before enjoying.
Makes 20 cookies.
Nutrition: (per cookie) Calories 170; Fat 11g; Carb 11g; Protein 8g; Cholesterol 16mg; Fiber 22g

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Syleanna!
I have a question. What are the specs of your whey protein? Just trying to compare nutritional info with the one I have. 1 rounded scoop is 30g protein, 1g fat, 140 calories, 3g carbs, 10mg cholesterol - found at Costco. Already made a batch but they were quite dry. Making a second batch today and going to try adding another egg to see if that helps. Thanks for the recipe!

Syleanna said...

The protein facts really depend on what kind of protein powder. The protein powder I used for this recipe was more around 140 calories but there is one I have in my cupboard right now that is only 100. The cookies do come out a bit dry. Putting in an extra egg should help. Good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...