Sunday, August 10, 2014

Healthy Halibut with Strawberry and Poblano Relish


Ever since I started cooking, I have gotten more and more into the presentation. At first I didn't care how it was presented, as long as it tasted good. Now that I have learned so much, I am all about pretty food. With every dish, I try really hard to make sure everything is cut evenly and that it still looks as good as it tastes. I find myself getting upset if something goes wrong. My husband can definitely tell you how my mood will go from high to low when I mess up. Once I had friends over and they were laughing at me because I was upset about a dish I was making. I knew it would taste okay, but something went wrong and I knew it wasn't going to look as good as I wanted. In the end it all looked fine and tasted fantastic.


Well, that tangent was all because I love the look of this dish. The gorgeous white fish with the vibrant green cilantro and bright red strawberries. I mean, who can say no to something so pretty!
Of course they wouldn't choose this just because it looks great, but also because it tastes wonderful. The original recipe called for lime pieces with the Strawberry relish, but we found that the flavor was too strong and over powered the other ingredients. So I would definitely only use the juice of the lime in the future.



Sea bass will be a perfect substitute if you can't find Halibut.

Combine lime zest, cayenne pepper, and salt in a small bowl.

After patting dry, rub in seasoning mix with fingers. Spray both sides with non-stick cooking spray, and grill over medium heat on cast iron grill pan.

Top with strawberry and chile relish, and enjoy!





Healthy Halibut with Strawberry and Poblano Relish
adabted from livebetteramerica.com

Ingredients:
for fish
4 4oz fresh or frozen [thawed] halibut (sea bass will work as well), cut into 1 inch thickness
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

for relish
1 small lime (zested and juiced)
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries (frozen and thawed is okay too)
1/4 cup finely chopped seeded fresh poblano chile pepper
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted*
1/8 teaspoon salt

Direction:
  1. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towel. Zest lime into small bowl. In a small bowl, combine lime zest, salt and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle mixture evenly over both sides of each fish steak; rub in with fingers.
  2. Heat a greased cast iron grill pan to medium heat. Spray fish on both sides with non-stick cooking spray. Cook on stove for 7-9 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.  
  3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine lime juice, strawberries, chile pepper, cilantro, cumin seeds, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Serve over grilled fish.
*To toast seed, heat a small skillet over medium heat. Toast cumin seeds until fragrant. Keep a close eye on it, as they can burn quickly.
Serves 4

Nutrition: Calories 130; Fat 2 1/2g; Sodium 300mg

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...