Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting (great at high altitudes too!)


So the title of this recipe should really be The-most-delicious Pumpkin Cupcakes with Super-Heavenly Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting. I can not explain in words how fantastic these cupcakes are. I have made them two years in a row now, and every time I do they are gone with-in 24 hours. The recipe makes about 20-24 cupcakes, so I always give some to friends and co-workers, but trust me, they do not last long. Especially with this cream cheese frosting. The cinnamon and vanilla give it such an elegant taste that you may just eat the bowl before frosting the cupcakes. I'm not going to lie and say I didn't have a few spoonfuls myself. :)

If you are looking for a way to start off this fall season, these are the way to go. Super simple, but oh so delicious. I found this wonderful recipe at Nancy Creative. Thankfully these are perfect for high-altitude baking as well. I was so excited when I made these the first time and found out that I didn't need to mess with the recipe at all. They rose to the perfect fluffy texture.


The frosting recipe below makes a TON of frosting. I had half of the frosting left over when I finished putting some on the cupcakes. Now if you want to use the whole bowl, I'm not saying you shouldn't. The measurements below allow you to liberally frost each cupcakes with this heavenly frosting. Next time I make these (and I definitely will) I think I will half the frosting recipe. I even thought about doing that this time but I decided against it. Unfortunately I couldn't justify eating the bowl of frosting on it's own, so I had to throw away a lot of it. So just a heads up, half the frosting if you don't think you will top each cupcake with at least two inches of it. :)


Of course gather all of your delicious ingredients! Looks like it's fall baking time with all those spices! 

Combine your flour, spices, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
Blend the oil and sugars together until fluffy.
Add each egg in one at a time, blending well after each addition. Then add milk and pumpkin puree. It will look very soupy.
Slowly add the flour mixture in small batches (you know, so you don't get flour all over you and your kitchen) until well combined.
To get even cupcakes, an ice cream scoop works perfectly!
Look how even! :)
Let the ridiculous smelling cupcakes cool on a wire rack and tempt you as they cool completely before frosting.
While the cupcakes cool, gather your frosting ingredients.
Blend the cream cheese and butter until smooth.

Add the cinnamon and vanilla to the mixture
Action shot! Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time. You may not need all of the sugar, just watch it until it reaches a smooth, but strong consistency.
Hold yourself back, and try not to eat it all out of the bowl before they get on the cupcakes. :)
My mom got me this as a present one year, and I love it! It works almost like a pump, but helps keep everything even.
All I have to do is push on the lever and I get the right amount of frosting on each cupcake. 

You can even use a star tip and make a gorgeous design, but I find this frosting isn't the kind to really hold that kind of structure. At least when I made it. :/
Oh my goodness! These are one of the best cupcakes I have ever made. I always have to give some to friends and co-workers, otherwise I will eat them all!


Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:

for cupcakes
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 (15oz) can pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)

for frosting (makes A LOT of frosting, half the recipe if you don't plan on liberally topping each cupcake)
2 (8oz) 1/3 less fat cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup butter, softened
7 1/2 to 8 cups confectioner's sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 muffin tins with paper liners, makes approx. 20-24 cupcakes. 
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In a large bowl of a stand mixer, blend canola oil and sugars, on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition. Mix in pumpkin puree and milk. Slowly add flour into pumpkin mixture, blend until all combined. Using an ice cream scoop, evenly distribute batter into muffin tins until 2/3 full. 
  4. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes on wire racks until completely cooled before frosting.
For Frosting
  1.  In a large bowl of a stand mixer, combine cream cheese and butter on medium speed until smooth. Add vanilla and cinnamon, mix until combined. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mixture will be smooth, but not too stiff.
  2. Frost cooled cupcakes. Serve and enjoy! Or, because of cream cheese, keep in fridge until ready to serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...