Monday, April 16, 2012

Chicken Salad with Cranberries & Walnuts


I have mentioned before that a few years ago my husband and I went on a mission to get healthy and lose weight. After six months of working out 5 days a week, and watching my calories to the last gram, I finally reached my goal weight. Then, for the following year I relaxed on my workout schedule and eating habits, but still lost weight slowly. One year and six months after our initial decision to change our ways, I lost 35 pounds. It has been about 11 months since that day, and I am happy to say that I have been able to maintain my weight. Trust me, there were days when I just wanted to annihilate a gallon of ice cream, or 5 slices of pizza. On those bad days, I just remember how I felt before this journey and I know I never want to go back. I have never felt more confident or energetic in my life. 

Well, I have had another journey in the past couple of weeks. I made the decision to up my workout routine and change my eating habits once again. Yes, I feel great at where I am at weight wise, but there are still those little flabby parts I want to get rid of. So, I decided to maintain my weight while gaining muscle. I just want to be a bit more tone. That is where Protein comes in. For almost a month I have been indulging in protein shakes and high protein bars. I know you are probably thinking, "Ew, protein powder." That is what I thought before I actually tried it. The flavored ones, vanilla or chocolate, are actually really tasty. With milk! I tried with water, and it really turned me off. So if you have been wanting to try protein powder, but are a little weary, definitely try it with an 8 oz glass of milk. The chocolate powder makes it taste like chocolate milk. :)

Anyways, the whole reason why I am spilling this out is because yesterday I saw progress in all of this. About three weeks ago I measured my waist, butt, and thighs. The numbers weren't bad, but I knew I could do better. Something to remember when it comes to working out as woman is that sometimes we won't see results on the scale. It always seems easier for men because they can start working out and one week later they are ten pounds down, but maybe you gained a pound. I went through that for sure, and I quit for about two weeks. Now, I am really glad I came back in the game, because these last few weeks have shown me that getting smaller/toned, really has nothing to do with the scale. It's all about the measurements at this point. I have been weighing myself about two or three times a week, and the scale hasn't been moving drastically in either direction. Although, yesterday when I pulled out the tape measure I discovered that I lost an inch on my waist and butt, and a half inch on my thighs! Why am I telling you all this? I have no idea! I guess I am just really excited to see results!

Now go make this delicious chicken salad! :)



Please feel free to cook your own chicken breast and cut it up, I am just really lazy sometimes. :)




Chicken Salad with Cranberries & Walnuts 
adapted from The Yummy Life


Ingredients:
4 cups chopped, cooked chicken or turkey breast
1/2 cup dried cranberries*
1/2 chopped toasted walnuts**
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried)

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients until well combined. Serve in a sandwich or on top of a bed of lettuce. Put a dollop on crackers for an easy appetizer. 
Make ahead tip: This will hold for a day or two in the fridge, but yogurt gets absorbed into the chicken/turkey when it sits overnight. Stir in additional yogurt to restore the creamy consistency if eaten the next day. 

If you want a plain chicken salad, just omit the cranberries and nuts.
*Other fruit you can use: grapes or apples.
**Other nuts to use: pecans, sliced almonds, pine nuts, etc. 

Serves 3-4
Nutrition: (perserving 2/3 cups, not including bread) Calories 129; Fat 6g; Carbs 11g; Cholesterol 21mg; Protein 11g; Fiber 1g


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...