Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Butternut Sage Pasta


I have so many fall recipes that have yet to be posted! Please forgive me for being behind the seasons. Although dish isn't too far away. Butternut squash is still considered a winter ingredient and hey, it's still winter right? I am always the person that sees Christmas as winter and then after the New Year it's almost spring, even though it's still months away. :) It can't be spring when the temperature outside is in the 20's and there is ice on my car. 

I really liked this dish. The flavor is very subtly so if you want to add a bit more spice, just sprinkle in a bit of paprika or cayenne pepper. I believe near the end of cooking I put in about a teaspoon of paprika and the flavor really took off. If you enjoy all the flavors of winter, you must try this!

Plus, you can see how easy this recipe is at the lack of pictures I took. Well, really I just forgot to take pictures because it was all done so fast. See how I justify my forgetfulness. :)




Butternut Sage Pasta
epicurious

Ingredients:
1 lb peeled and cubed butternut squash
1 small onion, diced
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 teaspoon salt
 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, if desired (Could be used in sauce or only as garnish. If using for garnish you won't need the full cup.)
1 lb rotini or penne pasta

Directions:

  1. Heat butter in a 5-6qt heavy pot over medium-high heat until foam subsides, then add sage and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add cubed butternut squash, diced onion, water, salt, and pepper and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until squash is very tender and water has reduced considerably, about 8-10 minutes. 
  2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, reserve 1 cup pasta water when ready to drain. When butternut squash is fork tender transfer mixture to a blender, or use an emersion blender if you have one. Blend until smooth. 
  3. Toss cooked pasta with enough butternut squash sauce to coat evenly. If necessary, add a little bit of the reserved cooking liquid to thin it out. Garnish with cheese. 
Serves 4-6

3 comments:

Red White and Blue Starfish said...

Ooh, this sounds GOOD. I am making this when I get home. Until then, I have you bookmarked. This looks like it's going to be a great blog! I hope you keep it up. What a good idea. :-)

Red White and Blue Starfish said...

Ooh, this looks GOOD. I will be making this when I get home. Meanwhile, I will keep your site bookmarked. I hope you keep this blog going--it looks like you've got some great recipes here, and I can never think of what to make these days, I need ideas!

Syleanna said...

Thank you so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...