Thursday, June 16, 2011

Low-Fat Granola Bars



Again, I have been working non-stop and finally had a moment to cook. This time I wanted something that I could grab and go. It helps for lunches at work, or as I'm leaving and just want to munch. I have always wanted to make granola bars and I was nervous that I would mess up, but everything turned out pretty good!

This week I ended up in a bookstore a couple of times looking for a gift for someone, and I found myself in the cooking section looking at cookbooks. Hi, my name is Syleanna and I'm addicted to cookbooks! I even had one in my hand to buy, but I put it back. I know a certain someone would tease me for buying a new cookbook, especially when I'm doing this blog because I have so many. I just love looking through cookbooks and seeing yummy recipes! I do have will power!!

The recipe calls for low-fat granola and dried fruits, so I went for one that had both. 
Portions. That's what this cookbook is all about. Small portions. 
When I tried to separate the eggs I tried to do it the awesome way, by hand. The first two eggs went beautifully, but of course the third egg fell apart in my hand and yolk landed in the bowl. So I had to use my egg separator, thankfully I had three more eggs in the fridge. 



Parchment paper, a very helpful tool. :)
I cut these into squares instead of bars, I felt the portion size would suit better.
Low-fat Granola Bars

Ingredients:
Cooking Spray
3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups low-fat granola
1/4 cups currant (you can use raisins too if you have them; if granola has dried fruit omit)

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 325'F. Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. 
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon. Add granola and currants, and mix well. Lightly spray the bottom of a 1/3 cup measure with cooking spray and firmly press the measuring cup to flatten granola into the prepared pan. 
  3. Bake until lightly browned, 20-22 minutes. Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely in the pan for at least one hour. Use an offset spatula to trace around the outer edge and remove. 
(Tip: This is a chewy granola bar. Omit the egg whites for a crunchy bar.)

Makes 8 bars.
Nutrition: Per bar. Calories 115-135; Fat 1-2.5g; Sodium 30mg; Sugars 14g

16 squares: Calories 69; Fat <1g; Sodium ~15mg; Sugars ~7g  


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...