Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pork Chops Stuffed with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Spinach


Five weeks later, I'm finally doing what I was trained to do. Of course my first day I was really nervous, but today I was feeling a little bit more relaxed. I know with these first couple weeks I won't be at the top of the pack like I want to be. Sometimes I wish I could just come out swinging, but the only way I can get up there is to actually do what I need to do. When I looked at my stats from yesterday I was disappointed. Yes it was my first day, but I know I can do better. After today, I noticed that I was getting a little bit better. So if I just look into the future I know I will gain those numbers, and the knowledge I need to get me to the top!

After a long day on the phones I like to come home to a recipe waiting for me. :) I noticed that it relaxes me. This recipe was easy and very delicious. I was watching one of my favorite cooking shows on TV, and I found myself wide-mouthed and transfixed as this recipe was being cooked. At that moment I decided to try it out. I was surprised at how easy it is. Not only is it packed with protein, but it is less than 300 calories per serving. Who could ask for more from such a delicious plate of food! :)



The heat from the mixture will help melt the cheese, so make sure to mix it together while it is still hot. 



Make sure to season the meat before searing it. Otherwise you will get a bland chop! 

You may want to cover the pan when you start cooking the chops. Otherwise you will get oil splatter all over your stove and you. Trust me, it's not fun to get attack by tiny oil bombs.  






Pork Chops Stuffed with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Spinach
Everyday Italian on Food Network - Giada De Laurentiis


Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 sun-dried tomatoes, diced
1 (10oz) bag of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dried
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup (2oz) goat cheese
1/3 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
4 (4oz) center-cut pork chops
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 lemon, zested
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

Directions:
  1. Warm the 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook until combined, about 2 more minutes. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl. Add the goat cheese and cream cheese. Stir to combine and set aside.
  2. Use a sharp knife to cut a pocket into the thickest portions of the pork chops. Stuff each pocket with 1/4 of the spinach and sun-dried tomato mixture and close the pork around the stuffing. Season the outside of the pork with salt and pepper.
  3. In a small bowl combine the chicken broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, and mustard. 
  4. Warm the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot add the pork. Cook until golden and cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer the pork to a side dish and tent with foil to keep warm. Add the chicken broth mixture to the skillet over medium-high heat. Scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan as the chicken broth simmers. Reduce the broth by half to make a light sauce, about 8 minutes. Spoon some sauce over the pork before servings, about 2-3 tablespoons. 
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition: (per stuffed chop with sauce) Calories 294; Fat 17g; Cholesterol 80mg; Carb 7g; Protein 28g; Fiber 1g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...