Friday, August 5, 2011

Apple Butter



Work, work, work...I have done nothing but work the last few weeks, and I'm exhausted. The only things that sound good are lying around reading a book, and cooking many many desserts. Whenever I am tired, or stressed, I want nothing but sweets, lots and lots of sweets. When I changed my eating habits, that was one of the things I really had to work on. It actually became easier after the first few months, but for some reason this summer I have had so many sweet cravings. I am sure my work contributes to this. So many cakes and cookies staring at me all day long, calling my name. Thankfully, my willpower is stronger than my cravings so I have been able to maintain my weight.

For the last recipe, I caved and finally made a dessert. I find that my cravings are only partially satisfied when the dessert is "healthier". Of course, when I go all out I may feel satisfied, but I also feel lethargic for the rest of the day. I think I would rather feel better about what I just ate, than feel crappy because what I ate was unhealthy. That is why the last few weeks I have been making lower calories meals. Trying to save myself from eating all this crappy food!

Of course I do allow myself a few indulgences. That is an important part of getting into a new healthy way of eating. If you just completely ignore your craving, you will drive yourself crazy. You also have to build up your will power to tell yourself no too. :)


This cookbook is very old, I remember it being around when we moved to Washington 14 years ago! I love this book. There is literally everything you want to make in here, and it's all healthy! For this recipe, I wanted to do something that was a little easy, and a recipe that I didn't have to buy tons of stuff for. 

I have had apple butter only once before, and I thought it was yummy. One of my favorite breakfast foods, is toast. Toast with jam, peanut butter, cinnamon. Toast. I love toast! When I found this recipe I was super excited to try it out. I know that if I continue to make this, I will get better and better at it. Remember, a lot of these recipes are first times for me. Learning is good!

This is all you need! Simple!
One Pot :) 
Very runny at first, but as it cooks it will thicken. I did as the recipe said (50 min), but I could have easily let it cook for a few more minutes.


I adore toast!

Apple Butter (Printer-Friendly Version)
Ingredients:
1 jar (23oz/ 2.5 cups) unsweetened applesauce 
1/2 cup thawed frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon all spice
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in medium heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat 50 minutes or until very thick, stirring occasionally. 
  2. Store in sealed container in refrigerator up to 3 weeks. Spread on toast or muffin. 
Makes 2 cups
Nutrition: (1 tablespoon spread) Calories 16g, Fat traces, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 36mg

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...