Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Carrot Zucchini Muffins


Just because you see carrot and zucchini in the same food title as muffin, don't think these are not sweet and delicious! I could eat the entire dozen in one sitting. I love these. At my work they have these muffins, but they are gigantic and probably around 300 calories. That's almost an entire meal. So, instead of spending my money and wasting calories, I decided to makes these little babies myself.

The recipe I found (online at sparkrecipes.com) did not include any dried fruit. At work they have raisins and walnuts. I love the raisins, but I don't really like the walnuts. Even though the recipe I used did not ask for dried fruit, I decided to throw in a little dried cranberries. They add this tiny little pop of sweetness that makes me want to eat all of them!

The dried cranberries are not pictured because they were a last minute addition.



That device is one of the best cooking tools I have. You can change the top and do different things, even separate eggs! Can you tell I love kitchenware. :) 

Action shot!
I used an ice cream scoop to make these as even as possible. I think I did a pretty good job :)


Carrot Zucchini Muffins (Printer friendly version)
Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup Splenda granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 large eggs (or equivalent in egg substitute)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup shredded zucchini

Directions:
  1. Shred your carrot and zucchini.
  2. Preheat oven to 350'.
  3. Line muffin tins with paper liners, or spray tin with non-stick cooking spray.
  4. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  5. In a small bowl beat together oil, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla. 
  6. Stir into dry ingredients just until mixed (mixture will be thick). 
  7. Fold in carrots and zucchini.
  8. Spoon into prepared muffin tin.
  9. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
  10. Cool on wire racks.
Makes 12 muffins.
Nutrition: (per muffin) Calories ~155g; Fat ~10.5; Carbs ~17g; Protein ~3g


The aftermath! The only thing I don't like about being in the kitchen. :)


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...