Monday, November 14, 2011

Turkey Enchiladas Casserole



I can't believe that a week from Thursday we will be putting a turkey in the oven! This year has gone by so fast. Next thing you know we'll be opening presents, welcoming in a New Year, hugging our Valentines, watching fireworks explode, picking out Halloween costumes...then there's that turkey again. Blows my mind how fast it really goes. Sometimes that is a good thing. This year has gone fast, but it seems so long. I am so thankful I started this blog. It really has kept me busy and motivated. I have also learned so much and I can't wait to try out all of these new recipes on my favorite person; who comes home next month. :)

This year I am making Thanksgiving dinner for the first time, and I'm nervous. I know it's just a dinner, but it's Thanksgiving dinner! One of the best days of the year, where we can stuff our faces and no one can judge you on how many calories you just consumed. My eating habits have changed completely in the last few years, and I am excited to try new Thanksgiving recipes that I was too scared to try before. Oh man, I am excited!

I know this recipe has nothing to do with Thanksgiving, but I was really craving enchiladas. As it turns out, I love casserole recipes. It's so easy; just cook it, throw it in a dish, and bake it. That simple. When I found this recipe I just knew I had to do it. If you have ever made enchiladas before, than you know how time consuming that can be. This recipe really takes no time at all, and it tastes just as good (if not better) than rolled up enchiladas. Don't believe me? You'll just have to try it out on your own! :)












Turkey Enchiladas Casserole
Sunset - September 2002


Ingredients: 
1 1/2 lbs ground lean turkey breast
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano leaves or 1 tablespoon dried
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salad oil (vegetable oil)
1 can (29 oz) red enchilada sauce
Salt
12 corn tortillas (6in. wide)
2 cups shredded reduced-fat jack cheese (8 oz)
Chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:

  1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, stir turkey, onion, garlic, oregano, and cumin in oil until turkey is crumbly and no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Stir in 1 cup enchilada sauce. Add salt to taste.
  2. Meanwhile, cut tortillas in half. Arrange a fourth of the halves evenly over the bottom of a shallow 3-quart casserole dish, overlapping to fit. Sprinkle a fourth of the cheese evenly over the tortillas, then top with a third of the turkey mixture and a fourth of the remaining enchilada sauce, spreading each level. Repeat to make two more layers of tortillas, cheese, turkey mixture, and sauce; top with another layer of tortillas and sauce, then cheese.
  3. Bake in a 425° regular or convection oven until cheese is melted and casserole is hot in the center, 18-20 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.  
Makes 8-10 servings
Nutrition: (1 serving) Calories 249; Fat 5.7g; Protein 27g;  Carb 23g;  Fiber 1.7g;  Cholesterol 58mg; Sodium 1048mg

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...