Thursday, November 10, 2011

Traditional Apple Pie



As much as I love baking I have never made a pie, until now! I was randomly craving pie one day so I went on an adventure to try apple pie for the first time. While I was studying the recipe I realized the cookbook I was using was from England. Metric system, caster sugar, vanilla essence...I did a little googling before buying ingredients. At first I didn't think anything of it, but halfway through mixing I realized I wouldn't be making that traditional American apple pie. I continued baking and it turned out delicious, but there are things that I would definitely do different. 

This time I went the lazy way and went with store bough pie crust. I'm sure I could have went all out, but I thought I would wait till I got a better recipe. One part of the recipe that stumped me was the "caster sugar" part. Never have I heard of caster sugar. After a bit of researching I found out that caster sugar was much finer than granulated sugar, but not as fine as powdered sugar. I wasn't sure if I would be able to find caster sugar in the store, so I thought I would make it myself. Sound impossible? I thought so too. Really, all you do is take granulated sugar and put it in a food processor or, if you are like me and don't have a food processor, your Magic Bullet. Pulse it until it is very fine, but before it gets too powdery. There you have it, your own homemade caster sugar! 

The pie crust was not pictured, because I forgot about it. Forgive me. :)
This was my first time making apple pie so I was scared to put too much of the filling in the pie crust, so I had some left over. I was wrong. Next time I am throwing everything in, even if I have a mountain of a pie in front of me!

Peeled, cored, and sliced. :)
To making the lattice pattern take 5-7 strips of dough and lay them parallel across the top of the filling. Fold back every other strip and place another strip going the opposite way, lay the folded pieces back over the top. Repeat until you have something that likes the picture below!

There are so many ways to decorate an apple pie. I really wanted to try out the weaving technique. I also took the left over dough and cut out little leaves to put around the edge.  Next, I'll try out the two crust pie. Want some more ideas? Check out different decorating techniques here!
 
To prevent the edges from browning too fast place greased foil, or a "pie edge cover", around the edge of the pie. When there is about 15-10 minutes left remove.





Traditional Apple Pie
Martha Day: Complete Baking


Ingredients:
For filling:
2 lbs tart eating apples, such as Granny Smith; peeled, cored, and sliced
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla essence (extract)
4 oz (1/2 cup) caster sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 oz butter or margarine
1 egg yolk
2 tsp whipping cream

For pastry:
8 oz plain flour
1 tsp salt
6 oz lard or vegetable fat
4-5 tbsp iced water
1 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca

Direction:
  1. Preheat over to 450'.
  2. For the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the fat until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
  3. Sprinkle in the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with your fingertips or with a fork until the pastry forms a ball.
  4. Divide the pastry in half and shape each half into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one of the balls into a circle about 12in in diameter.
  5. Use it to line a 9in pie tin, easing the dough in and being careful not to stretch it. Trim off the excess pastry and use for trimmings to decorate. Sprinkle the tapioca over the bottom of the pie shell.
  6. Roll out the remaining past to 1/8in thickness. With a sharp knife, cut out 8 large leaf-shapes. Cut the trimmings into small leaf shapes. Score the leaves with the back of the knife to make vines.
  7. In a bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon. Fill the pastry case with the apple mixture and dot with butter or margarine.
  8. Arrange the large pastry leaves in a decorative pattern on top. Decorate the edge with small leaves.
  9. Mix together the egg yolk and cream and brush other the leaves to glaze them. 
  10. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350' and continue baking until the pastry is golden brown, 35-45 minutes. Let the pie cool in the tin, set on wire rack.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...