Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Banana Nut Pancakes



Up here in the Pacific Northwest we are getting some great snow fall. When we get 2 inches on the roads, everything shuts down. Now they are predicting a storm that will drop 5-8 inches over night and freaking everyone out. I know it's sad! Thankfully though I have had the last few days off and haven't had to deal with those crazy drivers on the road who act like they have never seen the snow before. It has been nice being able to sit in my warm house and cook whenever I want. Today, I sat around and finished things up while the crock pot did the cooking. That recipe will be posted soon. :)

See all that snow, a total of 6 inches! :) I decided to keep the car buried and walk to the store. It was kind of nice walking around in the snow. Reminds me of college. Winters were always snow crazy over at WSU. 
I made these pancakes for the last day my soldier was home. For the entire three weeks he was home we talked about making pancakes, but for some reason we never got around to it. I'm sure if I hadn't worked 4 to 5 days out of the week, we would have had pancakes multiple times. This recipe came up at the right time because I happened to have an over ripe banana on my hands, and besides we love anything banana. I also added 2/3 cups oatmeal, because I had so much (and we just love oatmeal). These are great topped with honey, maple syrup...pretty much anything!

One tip I have while you make these is to set your oven to it's "warm" setting (or just below 200ยบ), then while you have the last set of pancakes on the skillet you can put the first batch in the oven to keep them warm. I do these with eggs and bacon when I make a big breakfast! :)

Happy Flipping!

So I made my husband his favorite cookies before he left and the cheapest carton of oatmeal I could find was this gigantic thing in this picture. Since I have so much, and we love oatmeal, I decided to put a little bit in the pancakes. Yum!








Banana Nut Pancakes
skinnytaste.com

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 large banana, very ripe, mashed
1 cup 1% milk (I used non-fat)
3 large egg whites
2 tsp oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp chopped walnuts (optional)
olive oil or butter flavor cooking spray

2/3 cup old fashioned (or rolled) oatmeal (optional)

Directions:
  1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine milk, egg whites, oil, vanilla and mashed bananas in a bowl and mix until smooth. Combine wet ingredients with dry and mix well with a spoon until there are no more dry spots. Don't over-mix.
  2. Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Spray cooking spray to light coast and pour 1/4 cup pancake batter. When the pancake starts to bubble and the edges begin to set, flip the pancakes. Repeat with remainder of batter.
Makes 3 cups batter, about 12 pancakes
With Nuts--Nutrition: (2 pancakes) Calories 145.7; Fat 4.0g; Protein 6.3g; Carb 22.1g; Fiber 3.1g

Without Nuts--Nutrition: (2 pancakes) Calories 129.1; Fat

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...