Friday, January 13, 2012

Orange-Ginger Glazed Cornish Game Hens



Before my husband left for overseas I wanted to make him a nice fancy dinner, specifically something I have never done before. I really wanted to do a bird; roast a chicken or cornish games hens. Well, we found this recipe for cornish games hens and I went for it. Man, did those little birds cause a challenge. I was very happy with the outcome, and I would gladly do these again, but of course with a few changes. I am really bad at carefully reading a recipe apparently, because I completely missed the part about skinning the hens! I'm sure the little "burnt" spots wouldn't have been there if I actually have. Oh well, it was delicious and I know how to make it even better next time. 

I have slowly been able to get the pictures back up. I have been working non-stop and my down time consists of watching tv series and eating ice cream. The first week is always the hardest, and I'm getting through it one day at a time. I have been waiting oh so impatiently for news if I will be able to follow my husband overseas. Cooking and working are pretty much all I did during training, and I did not mind that. My schedule is a little off this week, but I promise I will get back into my old routine and recipes will be coming at a fast rate! 

Hope the weekend is good to everyone!


Pay no attention to the box of rice in this picture. I meant to make a little rice pilaf, but it didn't work out the way I wanted, so I nixed it. 
I probable should have picked out hens that were somewhat the same size, but the packaging said they were the same weight. Nothing was ruined, so I am sure it wasn't a big deal.

This is where I would have skinned the birds if I had remembered too. Opps :) 



I added a little bit of left over onions I had from earlier, you don't have too.





Orange-Ginger Glaze Cornish Hens w/ Oven Roasted Green Beans
Cooking Light Complete Cookbook

Ingredients:
3/4 cup fresh orange juice (about 3 oranges)
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 (1.5 pound) Cornish hens, skinned and halved
Cooking spray
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 475º
  2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add to juice mixture in pan, stirring with a whisk. Cook 2 minutes or until thick and glossy, stirring constantly.
  3. Place hen halves, meaty sides up, on a foil-lined jelly-roll pan coasted with cooking spray; sprinkle hen halves with salt and ground ginger. Spoon juice mixture over hen halves. Insert a meat thermometer into meaty part of the thigh; make sure not to touch bone. Bake at 475º for 25 minutes or until thermometer registers 165º.
Makes 4 servings (1 servings = 1 hen half)
Nutrition: (Games Hens, 1 half) Calories 188; Fat 3.8g; Protein 22.5g; Carb 15.6g; Fiber 0.3g; Cholesterol 99mg; Sodium 487mg


Oven Roasted Green Beans
Cooking Light Complete Cookbook

Ingredients:
1 pound green beans, trimmed
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Cooking Spray
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 475º
  2. Combine beans and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl, tossing well to coat. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet coasted with cooking spray. Bake at 475º for 10 minutes or until tender, turning once. 
  3. Remove pan from oven; add lemon juice to beans, and toss.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition: (3/4 cups) Calories 56; Fat 2.5g; Protein 2.1g; Carb  8.4g; Fiber 3.9g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 302mg

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...