Thursday, February 23, 2012

Baked Onion Rings


Here is something I have never liked before, onion rings. Only about a year ago did I try the fried version. The outside was greasy and crunchy, but the onion itself was limp and slimy. Was not my favorite. Since then, I have grown to love onions and use them in as many recipes as I can. They don't really have a nutritional value, but are there mostly for the taste. So this quick and easy snack was more for my adventurous side. Even though I didn't like the fried onion rings, doesn't mean I wouldn't like the baked version. I was right. The bread crumbs give a fantastic crunch, and the onion is still crispy in the middle. If you are looking for a fast, healthy snack, try this! These would also be a great hit at the super bowl, or just a gathering that requires fantastic finger foods.

The bread crumbs can really be seasoned to your taste. For mine, I added a little bit of red pepper flakes of course! My choice for dipping sauce was BBQ sauce mixed with hot sauce, something odd I like to do. We all have those little weird things right? :)








Baked Onion Rings
From Cooks.com


Ingredients:
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 lg. sweet yellow onion, cut into rings
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450º.
  2. Combine egg whites, salt, and pepper in bowl; mix well. 
  3. Dip onion rings into egg mixture. Coat with bread crumbs.
  4. Place on a single layer on baking sheet. Bake at 450º for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes approx. 4 servings.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...