Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Brown Sugar Kisses


It's February 29th, we don't get to say that much. Right now all I can think about is the fact that I have to wait another 24 hours for my husband's one year tour overseas to be over! I know, I'm being a debbie downer, but I can't help it. We are only a couple months in and I'm ready for it to be over. I was ready two hours in. :) Well, at least I have something to keep me occupied. Cooking! 

These little clouds, I made on Valentines day when I shut myself up in my house and did nothing all day. It was the first time I have made a meringue of some sorts and I think I did a stand up job. When working with egg whites you have to be patient and careful. Just 30 seconds can be the difference between perfect meringue and over-beaten eggs. So watch the mixer constantly and take your time. 

These cookies are light and delicious! When you bite into one it's like you are biting into airy sweetness. They are sweet, yet healthier for you than any other kind of cookie. Eleven calories a cookie? I'll take it!




This is what a stiff peak should look like. When you are looking for soft peaks (which I forgot to take a picture of! Sorry!) you want the top to be a little limp. The mixture will look a little bubbly and only a little of the meringue should stay on the whisk.
Look at that little cloud of sweetness!



Brown Sugar Kisses
Cook Yourself Thin Faster


Ingredients:
3 egg whites
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 225º
  2. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper or a silicone sheet.
  3. In a large standing mixer fitted with a whisk, or a handheld mixer, beat the egg whites and salt on high speed until soft peaks form. Add the sugar slowly while beating, a few spoonfuls at a time, until the meringue is stiff and shiny, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the vanilla and beat to combine.
  4. Using a large tablespoon, drop the meringue onto the prepared baking sheet in the shape of kisses, two inches apart. Or cut the corner off a large plastic bag, filled with meringue, and squeeze out the kisses. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
  5. Turn off the oven and keep the door ajar. Let cool for 1 hour in the oven. Store in a tin or wrap loosely in aluminum foil; do not store in plastic wrap or glass or the cookies will become soggy.
Makes about 30+ cookies.
Nutrition: (per cookie) Calories 11; Fat less than 1g; Sodium 10mg; Sugar 2g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...