Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fajita Melt under $10!


I believe this has to be one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. If you love spicy you will love this!

This week I finally received a letter from my solider! I was so excited I ran from the mailbox so I could read it as soon as possible. He sounds like he is having a great time (he loves physical challenges). It also sounds like he is performing higher than most, the drill sergeants are having to find ways to smoke him. (Smoking is when the drill sergeants "punish" the soldiers by making them do push up. They could have done or said something wrong to earn this. Or, as in our case, if the soldier isn't messing up as much as the DS wants them too, they will come up with reasons to do it.) Apparently, one drill sergeant said his facial hair came in too fast that day so he made him do push-ups. I knew he would do a good job! I can't wait to see him at his graduation.

With the excitement of his letter, I wanted to make something delicious, and new. I always try to find something light for lunch. Not necessarily always light in calories, but something not to filling. This recipe is very relaxed, so I was able to cook things the way I wanted. After purchasing the needed ingredients, I realized I had spent less than $10. I love cheap meals, but this definitely didn't taste cheap!

On another note, this sandwich came out to be less than 400 calories! With a slice of cheese and all!


This recipe came from the pull-out recipe book from Food Network Magazine-October 2010 issue.

In the above picture you see EVOO, but in the previous picture it is Garlic Infused Olive Oil. I used the GIOO to saute the onion/peppers, I love that stuff.

My makeshift panini press. :)

See, it works!

YUM!

Fajita Melt
Food Network Magazine--October 2010 Issue

Ingredients:

Olive oil
Spices
Hot Sauce (I used Tamazula Mexican Hot Sauce)
Grilled chicken [$3.00]
Peppers (I used bell pepper [$1.79-red for color] and jalapeno [$.25]) 
Onion [$.16]
Pepper Jack Cheese [$2.50]
Sub roll [$.88 for two]

Directions:
  1. Spread olive oil on the inside of a split sub roll.
  2. Saute onions and peppers, seasoning with spices and hot sauce as desired.
  3. Fill sub roll with grilled chicken, sauteed onions and peppers, and pepper jack cheese. 
  4. Press and cook until golden.*
*How to cook panini: 
In a panini press: Preheat the press. Add your sandwich and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions until golden and crisp. 3-5 minutes.
On the stove: Preheat a skillet with butter or oil to medium low heat. Add your sandwich, then press a heavy pan on top to weigh it down. Cook until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. 

If you're wondering about quantity of ingredients, plan according to how many sandwiches you will make. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the proud momma of this amazing cook ! These were the best Melts that I have ever tasted ... so flavorful and light , one was not enough. They were so irresistible that I begged for her to make these a second time. Yum...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...