Saturday, December 17, 2011

Whole Wheat Penne with Broccoli and Sausage



For the next three weeks, posts will be a bit staggered. My husband came home after seven months training for the military, and I will be revisiting recipes more than getting new ones. He looked through some older posts and wants to try some. :)

This pasta I made a few weeks ago and has been sitting in my drafts folders. I kept meaning to put it up but things like fudge got in the way. I really liked this pasta. It was simple, quick, and great flavor. My favorite part was the lemon. Even with such little amount of citrus, you could definitely taste the difference. I couldn't get any nutritional information on this dish, but I can tell you it is pretty healthy. Choose a whole grain or whole wheat pasta, and go for the lean meat. The cheese of course is optional, but you deserve to splurge once in a while!

Hope your holidays are going great and I wish you Happy Holiday Cooking! :)








Whole Wheat Penne with Broccoli and Sausage
cooking for le$$ Pasta

Ingredients:
6 ounces uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
1 head broccoli, cut into bite-size florets
8 ounces mild Italian sausage, casings removed (turkey is optional)
1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Direction:

  1. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during last 5 to 6 minutes of cooking. Drain well; cover and keep warm.
  2. Meanwhile, heat large skillet over medium heat. Crumble sausage into skillet. Add onion; cook until sausage is brown, stirring to break up meat. Drain fat.
  3. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add sausage mixture, lemon peel, salt and pepper to pasta; toss until blended. Sprinkle with cheese. 
No nutritional information available.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...