Sunday, March 4, 2012

Southwestern Veggie and Cheese Panini


This will be another weekend in my apron. I love having two days off in a row, I get so much cooking in. Before my weekend starts I line up 3 or 4 recipes, and I just can't wait for my Friday to end. These next two days I am making snacks to send in a care package overseas. I am excited to send them off!

Now if you are craving a grilled cheese, why not do it the grown up way? This panini is kind of like a fancy grilled cheese. It was melty and spicy, a great lunch or light dinner. Paired with some veggies or a small salad, you have a nutritious plate in front of you! 

I had to make a few changes while I was at the store. I couldn't buy just one zucchini so I though celery would go well, it wasn't bad, but I'm sure the zucchini would have been better. I also choose a different cheese. When I hear cheddar cheese I cringe a little, not sure why, but I try to stay away from it. This Lite Mexican Blend went beautifully.






Southwestern Cheese Panini
Adapted from eatingwell.com

Ingredients:
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 prepared salsa
1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeno (I used fresh)
8 slices whole wheat bread
2 teaspoons canola oil

Directions:

  1. Have two-to-four 15 oz cans and a medium skillet ready by the stove.
  2. Combine cheddar, zucchini, carrot, onion, salsa, and jalapeno in a medium bowl. Divide among 4 slices of bread and top with the remaining bread.
  3. Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 panini in the pan. Place the medium skillet on top of the panini, then weigh it down with the cans. Cook the panini until golden on one side, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, flip the panini, replace the top skillet and cans, and cook until the second side golden, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with another 1 teaspoon oil and the remaining panini.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition: (per panini) Calories 331; Fat 14g; Cholestrol 30mg; Carb 37g; Protein 16g; Fiber 5g; Sodium 523mg

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...