Sunday, July 22, 2012

Rich Tomato Bread


This is my 100th post!! I can't believe over 14 months ago I started this blog to take my mind of some crazy times, and now it's become one of my ways to escape and be me. Over the last year, I have learned so much about cooking and being in the kitchen. I believe my taste and style of cooking has definitely grown since my first post. My photography still needs a little bit of work, but with my awesome new camera I'm one step closer to perfect pictures too! 

Now I have said since the beginning that yeast and I have never been friends. Why not break that wall between us with my 100th post?! I really wanted to try yeast again, and I could not resist this recipe. My love for sun dried tomatoes also grew by ten after trying this bread! I would eat a slice by itself, with eggs, or pressed into a delicious grilled cheese. This recipe started a whole new bond between yeast and I. Since this bread, I have made two more recipes and have yet to kill the yeast. Yay!

Here is to many more posts and growing in the kitchen!


Rehydrating the tomatoes brings back some of the wonderful flavors and texture. The water  gets infused with the color and flavor of the tomatoes giving the bread it's beautiful colo!










Here is one way I enjoyed this flavorful bread! I toasted the bread and topped it with cheese and a beautiful fried egg. The flavors were crazy amazing!
Rich Tomato Bread
Cooking Light Complete Cookbook


Ingredients:
1 cup boiling water
20 sun-dried tomato halves, packed without oil
1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 1/2 cups flour, divided (bread or all purpose flour)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon melted butter

Directions:
  1. Combine boiling water and tomatoes in a small bowl. Cover, let sit 30 minutes.
  2. Drain tomato mixture through a sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid. Finely chop tomatoes. Heat reserved liquid to 100º to 110º. Place liquid in a large bowl, and stir in yeast. Let stand 5 minutes.
  3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 3 cups flour, chopped tomatoes, oil, salt, and egg to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms.
  4. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky). 
  5. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover; let rise in warm place (85º), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers in dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
  6. Punch dough down; cover and let rise 5 minutes. Roll dough into 14x7 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Roll up rectangle tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place roll, seam side down, in a 8x4 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Coat dough with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
  7. Preheat over to 350º.
  8. Uncover dough; bake at 350º for 40 minutes or until loaf is browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan; place on a wire rack. Brush with melted butter. 
Makes 16 servings.
Nutrition: (1 slice) Calories 145; Fat 3.3g; Protein 4.7g; Carb 23.9g; Fiber 1.3g; Cholesterol 15mg

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...