Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Flaxseed and Oatmeal Wheat Bread

I have been MIA for the past week and I am so behind in my postings! My husband comes home soon for a week long leave and I have been so busy getting things ready for his arrival. I haven't even cooked a meal in almost a week! What is going on? I have been planning his birthday and the meals I am making for when he is home that I have let my fridge get down to the bear minimum. Pretty much I have been microwaving a lot of meals for myself. :)

Well, I will definitely be away for the whole time he is here, but I will definitely pick back up after he heads back overseas. I have tons of recipes I want to make and I promise I will start posting a lot more!

This bread is really not for those with a sweet tooth. If you want to make it a little bit sweeter, just add a little more honey, or agave syrup in my case. I thought I had more honey left, but the agave worked perfectly fine. I love sweet things, but I knew this bread is not a sweet one so I spread a little honey when I snack. If I know that I am getting a lot of nutrients and healthy ingredients in my foods, I am not just upset if it isn't super sweet. The best thing about the bread was having a slice covered in honey with my cup of coffee in the morning! Great way to start the day!






Here you could really top your bread with anything, or nothing. I had a little leftover walnuts from a previous recipe so I decided to throw them on. Delicious!  






Flaxseed and Oatmeal Wheat Bread
adapted from allrecipes.com


Ingredients:
1 cup rolled oats (additional for topping, if desired)
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons agave syrup
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon chopped nuts, if desired

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 450º degrees.
  2. Grind oatmeal in a food processor or blender. In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, baking powder, flaxseed, and salt. In a seperate bowl, dissolve honey in a vegetable oil then stir in the milk. Combine both mixture and stir until a soft batter is formed. Pour into greased 8x4in loaf pan. If desired top with 1 tablespoon oats or chopped nuts, gently press into the batter.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes until top is golden brown.
Serves 12
Nutrition: (per slice) Calories 98; Fat 2.6g; Cholesterol 2mg; Carbs 15.5g; Fiber 2.5g; Protein 3.15g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...