Sunday, July 15, 2012

Grilled Chicken Breasts with Peach Salsa and Crispy Asparagus


I told you all I would be MIA this last week. My husband came home for a week of leave, and that week filled up fast. Everyone who loves him wanted to see him, and we had side plans for a stay at the beach, it was like we packed a year into one week. I was happy that it went by quite slowly, but now that I just took him to the airport this morning, I am wishing it could have lasted longer. Now my second count down begins for the next half of this tour!

In the next few days I have to get back into my routine, so I thought I would start with a post! This recipe was something I had been wanting to try. I have seen salsas with mangos and oranges before, but I was never sure about them. For some reason a sweet salsa didn't sound appetizing to me. Well, for a couple weeks I was craving peaches like crazy and when I found this recipe and I really wanted to try. I was surprised how all of the different flavors blended together. The sweetness of the peaches, the citrus from the lime, and a little kick of spice from the jalapenos. You wouldn't think those would taste good together, but with a hot grilled piece of chicken the flavors really came together and make for one fabulous dinner!







Who needs fries when you can get the same crispy texture, with tons more nutrition from these crispy baked asparagus?!







Grilled Chicken Breasts with Peach Salsa and Crispy Asparagus
Pillsbury Fast and Healthy Cookbook


Ingredients:
Salsa:
1 cup chopped peaches (peeled if desired)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
Dash salt

Chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil

Directions:
  1. Heat cast iron grill pan on medium heat. In a medium bowl, combine peaches, lime juice and brown sugar; mix well. Stir in bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, and dash of salt.
  2. Place 1 chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper. Working from center, gently pour with flat side of mallet or rolling pin until about 1/4 inch thick; remove wrap. Repeat with remaining chicken breast.
  3. When ready to grill, lightly sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; then brush lightly with olive oil  on both sides of breasts. Place chicken on grill pan, cook 6-10 minutes or until chicken is fork tender and juices run clear, turning once. Serve chicken with salsa.
Serves 4.
Nutrition: (1/4 of recipe) Calories 160; Fat 3g; Cholesterol 75mg; Fiber 1g; Protein 27g; Carb 6g


Crispy Baked Asparagus

Ingredients:
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan
Salt and pepper to taste
2 egg whites
Bunch of asparagus (20-30 pieces depending on size)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425ยบ and line a baking sheet with foil, place a wire rack on the foil. 
  2. Gently find the breaking point of each asparagus, and discard the bottoms. Wash and dry stalks.
  3. Combine panko, parmesan, and salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly beat the egg whites in a separate shallow dish. 
  4. Dip each stalk into the egg whites then into the panko bread crumbs; if crumbs are not sticking dip into egg whites one more time and repeat. Place on wire rack on baking sheet lined with foil. Repeat until all asparagus stalks are covered. 
  5. Bake for 20 minutes until bread crumbs turn golden brown. 
Serves 4.
Nutrition: Calories 183; Fat 5g; Carbs 22mg; Cholesterol 6mg; Protein 13g; Fiber 3g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...