Friday, August 10, 2012

Lightened Huevos Rancheros


I have been on a huge fried egg kick for the past few months. I tried my first one just this year and I don't know where they have been all my life. As much and I can, I try to make myself a delicious runny egg in the mornings. For some reason I have always thought that fried eggs made dishes look pretty, I know weird thought. So after I found out how yummy they are, I just had to find a recipe to use them in. I found this recipe and I couldn't wait to make it. 

Not only was this recipe simple, but it was full of flavor. You have the cilantro, lime, onions, beans, cheese...what more could you ask for in a dish. I made this for brunch the day my husband came home for leave, and I didn't want something that would keep me in the kitchen all afternoon. While you have the cheese melting in the oven, you have your eggs getting beautiful and yummy on your skillet. You will have to work your multi-tasking skills with this one, but it is worth it! 









Lightened Huevos Rancheros
Adapted from Eating Well

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
1 scallion, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoons freshly ground pepper, divided
1 15oz can pinto beans, rinsed
1/2 cup prepared green salsa
8-6 inch corn tortillas
3/4 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, mexican blend..etc)
4 large eggs

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400ยบ.
  2. Combine lettuce, scallion, cilantro, 1 teaspoon oil, lime juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a bowl; set aside. Combine beans and salsa in another bowl.
  3. Coat both sides of each tortilla with cooking spray. Place tortillas on a large baking sheet in 4 sets of overlapping pairs. (Each pair should over lap by about 3 inches). Spread about 1/3 cup of bean mixture on top of each pair of tortillas and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons cheese each. Bake until the beans are hot and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the pan, taking care not to break the yolk. Season the eggs with remaining salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook undisturbed for 5-7 minutes for soft-set yolks. (For hard-set yolks, cover the pan after 5 mintes and continue cooking until the yolks are cooking through, 4-6 minutes more.)
  5. To assemble, place an egg on top of each pair of tortillas and top with a generous 1/4 cup of the lettuce mixture. 
Serves 4.
Nutrition: (1 pair of tortillas) Calories 396; Fat 18g; Carb 42g; Cholesterol 234mg; Protein 20g; Fiber 8g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...