Sunday, August 5, 2012

Spicy Orange Shrimp Stir-Fry


Today is the hottest day in two years here in the pacific northwest, and yes I am melting! Houses up here in Washington don't naturally come with AC, because you wouldn't use it for more than a week in one year. So I am sitting here chugging a large cup of ice water, and planted directly infront of my fan. As much as I love the sunny weather, I am looking forward to fall and winter very much. My soldier comes home this winter from his tour, and the colder it gets the closer it is till he comes home. If you can't tell, I am very excited for this tour to come a glorious end!

If you are at home enjoying beautiful (or crappy) weather this spicy and tangy dish is perfect for you. It was fast and super simple. I would have loved to get fresh shrimp, but I really can not face the fact that I would have to pull off their little eyes and feet. Besides the fresh shrimp at stores usually come in frozen. So I decided to just go the simple way and use frozen shrimp. The only work I did was thaw them and take off the tails. You are more than welcome to leave the tails on, but I didn't want to worry about them while I was eating. One of the best things about this recipe is that you can control the amount of spice that you want. Put in as much or as little chili paste that you like. While I was reading the reviews for this recipe I saw some people didn't like the amount of chili paste, that it made the dish too spicy. I knew right then that the amount of paste was perfect for me! 











Spicy Orange Shrimp Stir-fry
adapted from CookingLight


Ingredients:
1.5 lbs peeled and deveined large shrimp
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (rice wine vinegar works too)
1 tablespoon chile paste
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves minced
1/3 cup chopped green onions

Directions:

  1. Place shrimp in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch; toss well to coat. Set aside.
  2. Combine juice, soy sauce, vinegar, and chile paste, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
  3. Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced ginger and garlic; stir-fry for 15 seconds or until fragrant. Add shrimp mixture; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add juice mixture and onions; cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens or shrimp is pink, stirring frequently. Serve immediately with cooked pasta or rice.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition: (3/4 cup shrimp) Calories 301; Fat 10g; Protein 35.3g; Carb 16.8g; Cholesterol 259mg; Fiber 0.5g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...