Thursday, October 25, 2012

Tiramisu Coffee Dessert


When I was growing up I had no idea what tiramisu was. Even when I started drinking coffee I had no idea what this decadent dessert was like. Then one day some told me it tasted like coffee, and I was stunned that I have never tried it before. I had my first bite and I have been hooked on this sweet, espresso dessert.  There are many versions of this dish and I was happy to come across such a simple recipe, I just had to try it out. I cut the recipe in half as it was only my mother and I who would enjoy this, and it really took almost no time at all, with hardly any calories! No turning on your oven, and you really only need one mixing bowl. Who wouldn't want to make this?! :)


Next I make this I will only drizzle the coffee over the top of the angel food cake. I poured some on the bottom thinking it would soak all the way through. Nope, it all just puddled on the bottom and it was a bit soggy, while the top was nice and firm. 






Tiramisu Coffee Dessert
Betty Crocker's Healthy New Choices

Ingredients:
1 loaf (9x5 inches) angel food cake, cut into 8 slices
1 cup strong coffee (room temperature)
1 package (8 oz) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup sugar free chocolate syrup
1 container (8 oz) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed (3 1/4 cups)
Baking cocoa

Directions:
  1. Arrange cake slices to cover bottom of rectangle baking dish, 13x9x2 inches. Drizzle coffee over cake.
  2. Beat cream cheese, sugar, and chocolate syrup in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gently fold in whipped topping until well blended. Spread over cake.
  3. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until set. Sprinkle with cocoa before serving. Cover and refrigerate any left overs. 
Serves 15.
Nutrition: Calories 185; Fat 7g; Cholesterol 10mg; Carb 28g; Protein 3g;  Fiber 0g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...