Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Spicy Chicken Rigatoni

As much as I love cooking at home, I love going out to eat. Those nights when we get dressed up and have a nice meal with a glass of wine. Of course, I could do all that at home but it's not the same! I even like those lazy days when we just go to our favorite burrito or sub sandwich place. Just the fact that I don't have to cook sometimes, but I still get a delicious meal.


This recipe is from one of my favorite restaurants in downtown Seattle. We went for dinner on New Years Eve a few years ago and we ordered this plate by recommendation. Now I love spicy foods, and I was not expecting this dish to have such a kick. It didn't kill the flavor of the pasta, but really enhanced it. When I found this recipe I just had to make it. It has been a long time since I have been to this restaurant, and I didn't see going anytime in the near future. Of course it wasn't exactly the same, although surprisingly the recipe was really close to the restaurants dish. I did make a few alterations to "slim" it down a little, but it did bring back great memories of delicious times at one of my favorite food places!
 

If you want a little less of a kick, feel free to use the red pepper flakes to your taste.


The recipe called for more oil, but I took it down a little. I think there could have been less oil either way. Next time I will probably use a few tablespoons less than what I put in.



Spicy Chicken Rigatoni
adapted from Buca Di Pepos

Ingredients:
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes, plus additional for garnish
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
6 oz chicken, sliced
1 1/2 cup three cheese marinara sauce
1/4 cup peas
1 lbs rigatoni pasta, cooked according to package and drained

Directions:

  1. In a saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add crushed red pepper, salt, black pepper, and garlic; saute just long enough for garlic to caramelize and red pepper to release flavor in oil. Add sliced chicken and saute briefly to coat in spices and garlic. 
  2. Add sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook until sauce thickens slightly and chicken is throughly cooked. Turn off heat, add peas and incorporate into sauce.
  3. Drop cooked pasta in boiling water for 3 seconds. Let drain for 15 seconds. Toss with sauce. Place pasta and sauce in serving bowl, reserving the majority of the chicken to be placed on top of the pasta. Using a spatula, scrape any remaining sauce from the pan to the pasta. Garnish with crushed red pepper and serve.
Serves 8.
Nutrition: Calories 408; Fat 18g; Carb 47g; Cholesterol 30mg; Protein 15g; Fiber 3g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...