Sunday, January 27, 2013

Old Fashioned Caramel Layer Cake


All week I have been unpacking and getting our new home in order. There are a few boxes I had in my old garage that I hadn't opened in two years; it was fun looking through those and seeing what I forgot I had. My husband said it was like opening up Christmas presents. Kind of felt that way for sure. It was nice to see things that I haven't seen in a while.

Like I said before because of this move, I haven't been able to make many new dishes, but that is changing soon. I have always wanted to try meal planning, and I spent the last few days looking up recipes, grocery shopping, and organizing my plans. I have a recipe planned for most of this next week, except for date night and leftover night. :) After a few weeks I will update you all on how it's going. Right now I'm starting with planning just a week ahead, then as I get used to it and get more organized I will upgrade to a couple weeks or even a month.

Okay, so are you ready for one of the most delicious cakes you will ever make in your life? If you love maple bars, I mean LOVE them, this cake is definitely for you. Even if you don't like maple bars, you still have to make this and eat it. Yes, it is a tad bit rich, but sometimes you need that in your life right? I made this cake for Christmas dinner and it was so good. I have saved this recipe and I am going to make this again, that is a promise!







To get a clean cake plate after frosting cut three long strips of wax paper and arrange them into a square on the cake plate. Frost cake and when you remove the wax paper it takes all the drippings with it. Now you have a perfect presentation!





Old Fashioned Caramel Layer Cake
CookingLight Cookbook

Ingredients:
Cake:
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Frosting:
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated fat-free milk
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons light-colored corn syrup
Dash of salt
2 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350º.
  2. To prepare cake, coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray and dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
  3. Beat granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs and egg white, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Lightly spoon 2 1/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Combine 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt; stir well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with 1 1/4 cups milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
  4. Pour batter into prepared pans; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350º for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Peel off wax paper; cool completely on wire rack.
  5. To prepare frosting, combine brown sugar and next 4 ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; stir constantly. Reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla; beat at medium speed until smooth and slightly warm. Cool 2 to 3 minutes (frosting will be thin but thickens as it cools).
  6. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Store loosely covered in refrigerator. 
Makes 18 slices.
Nutrition: (1 slice) Calories 307; Fat 7.5g; Protein 3.8g; Carb 56.7g; Fiber 0.4g; Cholesterol 43mg


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...