Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Light Chicken Fried Rice


I know this may sound weird, but sometimes I get cravings for things I have never tried. Just the other day my husband said he has never heard of that and I'm a little crazy. Which is true. Well, that is what happened when I decided to make Chicken Fried Rice one day. It just sounded really good, even though I never really tried it before. Chinese food is one of my favorite splurges, but I always get white rice because it's definitely healthier. So when I got the random craving for fried rice, I wanted to find a healthy version.

Now that I'm cooking for both my husband and I, our dinners always have to include some kind of meat. I could eat a bowl of just noodles, but my husband likes to have a bit of protein with every meal. So adding the chicken to a bowl of fried rice made it a really nice dinner. Flavorful and filling!




Light and Easy Chicken Fried Rice
iowagirleats.com

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked rice (brown or white rice)
1 chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper (I used leftover cooked chicken, just as good)
1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
2 green onions, chopped
1 garlic clove minced
1 egg
3 teaspoons sesame or wok oil, divided
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce

Directions:
  1. Whisk egg with 1 teaspoon oil in a small dish then set aside.
  2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large work or skillet over medium-high heat. Add seasoned chicken then stir fry until cooked through and removed to a plate. (If using pre-cooked chicken, you can skip this step.)
  3. Heat remaining teaspoon oil in the wok, add frozen mixed vegetables and green onions. Stir fry until tender, about 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Push vegetables to the side of the wok and pour egg mix into the center; scramble the egg. 
  4. Add cooked chicken, rice, and soy sauce to wok then toss well to combine. 
Serves 4
Nutrition: Calories 232; Fat 6g; Protein 18g; Cholesterol 74mg; Carb 25g; Fiber 2g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...