Friday, June 29, 2012

Spicy Pasta with Olive Oil & Sun-dried Tomatos


I am officially in love with sun dried tomatoes. Since I first started eating them, I am trying to find any excuse to put them in the things I make. I believe there are two out of the other eight recipes I have in backstock that have sun dried tomatoes. Don't even know what it is about them that I love so much, but I want them in everything! 
This pasta was full of great flavor. With a little bit of spice and saltiness from the cheese. You really want to try and save some of the water every time you make a sauce with an oil base. The starchiness from the pasta infuses the water, giving your sauce a thicker consistency. I love seeing the difference after you add the water. You can really tell!

Sorry for the lack of pictures this time, but it's really simple I promise!





Spicy Pasta with Olive Oil & Sun-dried Tomatoes


Ingredients:
1 package of spaghetti, whole grain/fiber (any healthy kind of pasta)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
14 cup sun-dried tomatos, in oil
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
1/4 cup parmesan, plus a little more for garnish
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Cook pasta according to directions, a little less than al dente. Drain pasta, saving 1/2 cup pasta water. Do not drain pasta with water, you will lose the starchiness that allows the sauce to stick. 
  2. In same pot, add olive oil and garlic. Cook 1 minute until garlic starts to brown a little, do not burn garlic otherwise it will be bitter. Add sun dried tomatos and red pepper flakes, cook for 1 minute. 
  3. Take off heat; add pasta, cheese, 1/4 cup pasta water (more if desired), and salt and pepper to taste. Toss until combined. 
  4. If desired, top with cheese and bread.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition: Calories 515; Fat 22g; Cholesterol 6mg; Carb 76g; Fiber 10g; Protein 14g


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...