Friday, March 16, 2012

Crab Cakes


If you would have asked me three years ago if I would like some crab cakes, I would have wrinkled my nose and said "ick, no". Well, now it's a different story. My answer this time would be "Yes please!". Only recently have I come to enjoy the deliciousness that is seafood. Crab cakes especially. My first taste of crab was actually at a restaurant in downtown Seattle called The Crab Pot. The best seafood restaurant ever! They literally dump your meal onto your table and you smash it with a little wooden mallet. Who needs utensils? Plus, their crab cake appetizer is to die for. They have this dipping sauce that I need to learn how to make. When I was making my own crab cakes I was wishing that I had that dipping sauce. Instead I settled for a store bought seafood sauce, which was spicy so I was okay with it. Perhaps one day I will find that recipe from the restaurant and recreate the deliciousness at home. :)

Oh and by the way, Happy Early St. Patrick's Day!


My second two-yolked egg in a week...what does it mean? :)

My choice of seasoning
My mom's cat was very interested in the crab.


Crab Cakes
tasteofhome Guilt Free Cooking


Ingredients:
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cans (6oz each) crabmeat; drained, flaked and cartilage removed
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon canola oil
6 tablespoons seafood sauce

Directions:

  1. In a bowl, combine the egg, mayonnaise, bread crumbs, green onions, parsley, mustard, salt, and pepper. Add the crab; mix gently. Shape rounded tablespoonfuls into 2-in patties.
  2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties in butter and oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with seafood sauce.
Tip: If you want to add a special flavor to crab cakes, try adding some Old Bay seasoning along with other herbs and spices. A little goes a long way, so add a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon. I used 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon blackened spice.

Makes 9 servings.
Nutrition: (3 patties w/ 2 teaspoons seafood sauce) Calories 139; Fat 5g; Cholesterol 94mg; Sodium 547mg; Carb 7g; Protein 17g; Fiber 1g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...