Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lemon Meringue Pie


Here I am in Arizona! My brother and I surprised our Nana for her brithday, it was fantastic. I love coming down to see my family. So many loved ones that I haven't seen in years, and it's like I have been here all along. The only down side, (if there could be one) the sun! I'm from the rainy, cloudy Pacific Northwest, and we don't see the sun that often. I stepped out of the airport and my eyes couldn't figure out what that big yellow thing in the sky was. It's so hot! Everyone down here is loving the chilly, nice almost-spring weather while my brother and I are here sweating and shedding layers. I will be sad to leave in a few days back to the rain.

Now this dessert had to be one of the best pies I have ever had. I love anything lemon, and when I found this recipe for a "healthier" Lemon Meringue I just had to try it it. The meringue portion scared me a little, as working with egg whites always will, but if I want to learn then I have to try right? So I did, and I'm glad. Just remember to be patient when working with egg whites. Watch it carefully and do not over beat. If you do, start over. This recipe asked for graham cracker crust, but while I was at the store I found a shortbread crust and I just had to do it. I think it was much better than the graham cracker crust would have been. It stayed together nicely, and didn't get moist in the middle. You are welcome to do whichever crust you like. Dessert that day consisted of seconds, almost thirds! ;) 






This is what you would call soft peak. When you pull the beaters out of the egg it should cause wave like mounds. 


Now you have stiff peaks. The mixture is shiny and the peaks stand up.




Lemon Meringue Pie
Cooking Light Complete Cookbook

Ingredients:
Filling:
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
dash of salt
1 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 large egg yolks
1 (6oz) reduced fat graham cracker crust

Italian Meringue:
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water

Directions:
  1. To prepare filling, combine first 5 ingredients in a saucepan. Add 1 cup water, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in butter; remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well with a mixer at medium speed after each addition. Place pan over low heat; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Spoon filling into crust. Cool to room temperature.
  2. To prepare meringue, place egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy, using clean, dry beaters until soft peaks form. Combine 2/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook mixture, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 250ยบ. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg white mixture, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue evenly over filling, and seal meringue to edge of crust.
  3. Preheat broiler.
  4. Broil meringue 1 minute or until lightly browned (watch carefully as it can burn quickly); cool pie on a wire rack. Chill until set.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition: (1 wedge) Calories 292; Fat 7.7g; Protein 3.3g; Carb 54g; Fiber 0.1g; Cholestrol 62mg; Sodium 172mg

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...