Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Double Apple Bran Muffins


If you are anything like me, you probably get random cravings for odd things. Somedays I will be craving a steak, or mexican food. Others I'm craving pasta, or cookies. My cravings for muffins are always strong ones. I will have muffins here and there until my craving is satisfied. This last craving I had for muffins took a long time to get over. Before this recipe I tried a different kind that I was really looking forward to. The recipe itself I found online and the reviews were kind of iffy, but I still tried it anyways. I should have listened to what the people were saying. I ate a couple, and then decided they were just not worth it and threw them away. That just goes to show you it's not always the cook, sometimes it's the recipe. After that I was still craving a delicious big muffin to have with my coffee in the mornings. So I continued to look for a recipe, and I came across this one. All I have to say is that I will be making these again and again. Oh my goodness were they delicious! Healthy and sweet. I couldn't have asked for more in a muffin. Well perhaps a million dollars, but that might be a bit much for a baked good. :)







Double Apple Bran Muffins
cookinglight.com

Ingredients:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
1 large egg white
3/4 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4.5 oz)
1/2 cup oat bran
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup coarsely chopped, peeled Granny Smith apple
2 teaspoons turbinado sugar (optional)*

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400º
  2. Place 12 paper muffin cup lines in muffin cups (or spray with non-stick cooking spray); set aside.
  3. Combine brown sugar and butter in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add egg; beat 1 minute or until well blended. Beat in egg white until well blended. Add milk, applesauce, molasses, and vanilla extract; beat on low speed until well blended.
  4. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, oat bran, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Gently stir in apples. 
  5. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle evenly with turbinado sugar, if desired. Bake at 400º for 18 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. 
*If you do not have turbinado sugar like me, brown sugar is a good substitute. I used no where near 2 teaspoons, so I think you can use as little or as much as you'd like. If you like a little bit more sweetness I suggest sprinkling a little bit of something on the top of these already delicious muffins.

Makes 12 large muffins.
Nutrition: (per muffins) Calories 174; Fat 5.6g; Protein 5.2g; Fiber 3g; Cholesterol 28mg; Sodium 258mg

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...