Thursday, April 26, 2012

Baked Gnocchi


I have been on this high protein kick for a while now. It has been going great so far! Although, with high protein I have to watch the fat and carbs. That has been the toughest part. Trying to find something with an adequate amount of protein but not stuffed with calories, fat, and carbs. I do find the protein bars to be quite tasty though, and I still love the protein powder. At the store the other day, I found a strawberry flavored powder and I plan on going back to buy it. I have always thought strawberry milk was delicious. Sometimes even better than chocolate milk. :)

Recently I have been trying to find recipes with lots of protein, and I must say it's been easy. I have a few recipes in stock that have a great amount and I feel better eating what I make, because I know what is in it. Otherwise, I have been doing a lot more snacks and smaller meals. My recent fad is to buy boxes of crackers or bags of peanuts and snack mixes. Then I just measure them out to their servings sizes and place them each in small snack zip lock bags. Those little bags are great because they fit easily in my purse or lunch bag. It also helps make the serving sizes not look so small. :) 


Gnocchi is great. They are little potato dumplings, but they are used mostly in Italian pasta dishes. So yummy!
When the gnocchi float to the top like this, they are done. 
This picture is a lie, because I used too much spinach. Right after this picture I realized this and removed some before adding the gnocchi.




Baked Gnocchi
cooking for le$$ Pasta


Ingredients:
1 package (about 17oz) gnocchi (frozen or vacuum-packed)
1/3 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 package (10oz) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Direction:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 ยบ. Grease large casserole.
  2. Cook gnocchi according to package directions; drain.
  3. Meanwhile, heat oil in large heavy skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds. Stir in spinach. Cook, covered, 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add tomatoes and seasoning. Season with salt and pepper; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add gnocchi; stir gently.
  4. Transfer gnocchi mixture to prepared casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. 
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Nutrition: Calories 225; Fat 12g; Protein 8g; Carb 21g; Cholesterol 14mg; Fiber 2g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...