Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Skinny Chicken and Spinach Calzones


I am in my second day of a new career, and I am enjoying it! It is very different than anything I have ever done, and I am looking forward to learning everything and getting started. This is just the first week of a five week training program, which I am grateful to have. In all of the other jobs I have had, I have never had more than two days of training. Usually I have to hit the ground running. Right now I feel like I'm back in college again. It's been almost two years since I have been in any kind of class room setting, and I am realizing how much I missed school. That is odd, I know. I wouldn't mind going back to school for something. Even though I have my degree, I would still love to take a class. I would really like to take a cooking class. Just for fun, and of course to learn. :)

This recipe really caught my eye when I opened up this cookbook. Of course I love pizza, so why wouldn't I also love calzones? It's a pizza all wrapped up nice and cozy in a easy edible package. So when I saw this recipe for a quick and healthy calzone, I just had to try it out. All of the ingredients are fresh; other than the spinach, but frozen spinach is still pretty fresh. Because everything is fresh, you know what is going into it, so therefore you know how healthy it is.

The hardest part for me was working with the prepackaged dough. The recipe asks for a 10 oz can. So when I was at the store the closest can of dough I found to 10oz was the thin crust. The regular crust was closer to 12 or 13oz. I should have just used the regular. As I was rolling out the dough I was noticing that I couldn't get it to the right size without the risk of stretching the dough too thin, or ripping it. As you can see from one of my pictures below, I rolled one too thin and tried to stretch it over too much filling. It didn't ruin the taste at all, it just wasn't as pretty. So when it comes to the dough, you are more than welcome to make your own, but the pre-made dough is very easy to work with when you buy the right amount! 












The one on the top left is an example of why you shouldn't roll your dough too thin, or try to stuff too much filling. :)




Chicken and Spinach Calzones
Pillsbury Fast and Healthy Cookbook

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon cornmeal, if desired
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup pizza sauce
2 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
2 cups frozen cut leaf spinach, thawed, squeezed to drain and coarsely chopped*
3 oz. mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (2/3 cup)
1 (10 oz.) can refrigerated pizza crust

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 425º. Line cookie sheet with foil; spray foil with nonstick cooking spray**. Sprinkle with cornmeal, if using.
  2. Spray medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken; cook and stir 5 to 6 minutes until no longer pink. Add onion and garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is tender. 
  3. Stir in pizza sauce and Romano cheese. Remove from heat; stir in spinach and mozzarella cheese. 
  4. Remove pizza dough from can; do not unroll. Cut roll of dough into 4 equal portions. Press or roll each portion into 6 or 7 inch rounds.
  5. Spoon 1/4 of spinach mixture onto half of each round. Fold untopped half of dough over filling; press edges together with fork to seal. Place calzones on cookie sheet; reshape into semi-circles if necessary. If desired, spray tops lightly with cooking spray.
  6. Bake at 425º for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crusts are golden brown. 
Makes 4 calzones
Nutrition: (per calzones) Calories 370; Fat 9g; Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium 810mg; Carb 41g; Fiber 3g; Sugar 5g; Protein 29g

*To quickly thaw spinach, place in colander or strainer; rinse with warm water until thawed. Squeeze dry with paper towel.
**If you do not have cooking spray, olive or canola oil is a good substitute. Brush the oil on the foil with a pastry brush; also onto the calzones before placing them in the oven. It give gives the crust a good color and crunch. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...