Saturday, April 14, 2012

Low Calorie Lemon Squares



My first work week went great! I am so excited to start fresh somewhere and actually begin a career path for me. Because I started a new job, my hours are Monday thru Friday, and it looks like my cooking time has been squished into the weekend. It's only Saturday and I have already done two new recipes, and I have two more lined up for tomorrow. I don't mind, but I missed cooking during the week. When I got home, I was tired and just reached for the microwave dinners in my freezer. The one thing I did like was that I was able to search for recipes I wanted, and actually think about what I was going to make. I should start a meal plan. You know, on Sundays just lay out everything I will make during the weekend for the work week, or maybe make something small after work. I have been thinking about doing that kind of thing for a while, but I really don't know where to start. Once I figure out how I want to do it, I'll definitely share my secret! :)


I was out of all-purpose flour, so I used the next best thing I had. White Whole Wheat Flour. The lemon squares tasted delicious, but I am sure if I had used all-purpose it would have come out a bit different. That is what I get for being lazy and not wanting to drive back to the store (which is less than a 2 minute drive).

You can cut in the flour with a pastry blender, or a fork.








Lightened Lemon Squares
Pillsbury Fast and Healthy Cookbook

Ingredients:
Base:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup margarine or butter, cut into pieces

Filling:
1 (8oz) carton (1 cup) refrigerated or frozen fat-free egg product, thawed, or 4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel

Garnish:
2 tablespoons powdered sugar

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 375º. In large bowl, combine 1 2/3 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar; mix well. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture in bottom of ungreased 13x9in pan. 
  2. Bake at 375º for 14 to 17 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown. 
  3. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combing all filling ingredients except lemon juice and lemon peel; blend well with a wire whisk or fork. Stir in lemon juice and lemon peel. Pour filling over base.
  4. Bake and additional 18 to 25 minutes or until center is just set. Cool 30 minutes or until completely cooled. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar. Cut into bars
Makes 36 bars.
Nutrition: (per bar) Calories 120; Fat 4g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 70mg; Carb 19g; Fiber 0g; Sugar 13g; Protein 1g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...