Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Broiled Grapefruit


It's May! That means two things: One, it's my birthday month. Two, another month down of this overseas tour. I believe those are two very awesome things! I am actually quite surprised at how fast time has gone. Of course it didn't feel like it during the last few months, but now that I look back it went by pretty fast. Next month will be even better because then we can say we made it half way. If we can make it one half, than we can make it the other half. At least for me, that kind of thinking really helps me get through hard times. That is how I get through my workouts. :)

Now, here is a dish I never understood until I tried it myself. I always heard about people eating just a grapefruit for breakfast when they were on a diet or trying to eat healthy. Of course my first thought was, "That's it, how does that fill you up?" Well, it has been a while now that I have changed my eating habits and now I understand why this large fruit makes such a great, and fast breakfast. With ZERO fat, and a generous amount of protein and fiber this makes for a nutritious meal. I was surprised at how filling it was as well, especially with the little dollop of yogurt. If you haven't tried a broiled grapefruit, or grapefruit at all, try this. You will be satisfied with your heart smart breakfast! :)




Careful not to cut into too deep. Try not to puncture the rind. 
You can also tell when it is done by how the middle rises away from the rind like that. 
Broiled Grapefruit
Martha Stewart


Ingredients:
2 large grapefruit
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
Dash of cinnamon
1 cup non-fat plain yogurt

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to broil.
  2. Cut each grapefruit in half crosswise. Using a small knife or paring knife, loosen grapefruit segments by cutting along the rind and between each segment. Make sure  not to cut too deep, puncturing the rind. 
  3. Line a baking sheet with foil and place grapefruit halves on the sheet, citrus side up. 
  4. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar over each grapefruit half, then top each with a dash of cinnamon.
  5. Broil in the oven for 3-5 minutes or until tops brown slightly. 
  6. Top each grapefruit half with a 1/8 cup yogurt (more if desired) and serve while hot. 
Makes 2 servings.
Nutrition: (per two halves) Calories 219; Fat 0g; Protein 7g; Carbs 39g; Cholesterol 3mg; Fiber 14g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...