Tuesday, May 8, 2012

245 Calorie Freeze-Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches


We all have those mornings when time just flys by and you are already running late. As you walk out the door you realize how hungry you are but you don't have time to toast or pour anything so you go to work hungry and have a horrible day. I hate those mornings. That is why I made these! These are english muffin breakfast sandwiches. You could even compare them to a fast food restaurant, but these are much healthier and cheaper. Plus, you could make them however you want.

I found this idea on pinterest and I couldn't help but make some of my own. Now, when I don't have time to grab breakfast at home, I just reach in the freezer and throw the sandwich in my lunch bag. When I get to work I pop it in the microwave for a couple minutes and I'm all set to have a fantastic day. I put in bacon, spiced with red peppers, and some pepper jack cheese so these have a great spicy flavor. My co-workers always ask where I got my sandwich and I am happy to say, "Out of my freezer." :)





You can season the bacon if you wish. I like mine spicy so I always season my bacon with a little red and black pepper.

Placing the cooked bacon on a napkin will help soak up any extra grease. I know some people like the grease, so you are more than welcome to skip this step if you like. 





When you want one of these bad boys, just pull one out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes, still in it's plastic wrapping. Couldn't ask for an easier breakfast. :)


245 Calorie Freeze-Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches
Adapted from The Kitchen Witch


Ingredients:
6 whole wheat english muffins
1 1/2 cups egg beaters
6 slices turkey bacon (or any other healthy breakfast meat)
6 slices reduced fat deli cheese (pepper jack, cheddar, colby, swiss, etc...)

Directions:
  1. Toast all of the english muffins till slightly warm.
  2. Bake the turkey bacon as directed on package. (I baked mine, but you are more than welcome to use the stove top or any other method of cooking.) 
  3. Heat a small to medium non-stick skillet on medium heat. Pour in half of the egg beaters, seasoning if desired. After 30 seconds pull the sides away with your spatula, and tilt the pan to spread the egg. Cook until set and no longer runny. Repeat with the rest of the egg beaters. Cut each circle into 3 equal slices, so you have 6 triangles. 
  4. Spray each english muffin with a cooking spray, or a butter spray. Top one half of each english muffin with 1 triangle of egg beaters, one slice of turkey bacon cut in half, and 1 slice of cheese. Cover with top half of english muffin. 
  5. Wrap each sandwich in microwaveable saran wrap, then place all 6 in the english muffin bag. Date, and place in freezer.
  6. When ready to eat, place a sandwich in the microwave and cook for 1 minute. Enjoy your quick and healthy breakfast! 
Makes 6 sandwiches.
Nutrition: (per sandwich) Calories 245; Fat 8g; Protein 19g; Carbs 24g; Cholesterol 10mg; Fiber 5g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...