Sunday, May 27, 2012

Cilantro & Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto


I have fallen in love with sun-dried tomatoes. I used them in one recipe a while ago, and now I want to put them in everything. When I found this recipe I was lucky because I had all these ingredients just sitting in my kitchen. That is one of my favorite things when I don't have to go to the store.

For a long time I have been looking for a healthier pesto recipe and was excited when I found this one. This pesto was so fresh! I used it all on a bowl of pasta, but this can be used in so many ways. Next time I have people over I will blend this up, place it in a bowl, and serve it with bread or crackers. While my pasta was cooking, I dipped a piece of bread into the pesto and I was surprised I was able to stop and not eat it all.

I soaked my tomatoes for 2 hours. Reconstituting dry packed sun-dried tomatoes is recommended to get the best texture and flavor out of them.  







Cilantro & Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
oliveoilsource.com


Ingredients:
1 cup cilantro chopped (stems are okay)
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (dry packed)
1/2 cup medium to intense extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon diced jalapenos (if desired)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Soak sun-dried tomatoes in the olive oil for 2 hours, or overnight if possible.
  2. In a blender or food processor, process the cilantro, soaked tomatoes with the oil, chiles, garlic, and brown sugar. Process until mixture is smooth, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 
  3. Spred pesto on crackers, or use on your favorite pasta in place of basil pesto. 
Makes 2 cups
Nutrition: (1/3 cup) Calories 171; Fat 13g; Cholesterol 0mg; Carb 13mg; Fiber 1g; Protein 1g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...