Monday, May 21, 2012

Smoky Grilled Salmon with Black Beans and Corn


Why did the weather have to take a turn for the worse? I was enjoying the above 70's and sunny weather. Of course the pacific northwest just had to dump rain on us. I really want summer to be here. Of course, when it's hot and I'm sweating all day long, I am going to be hoping for fall to get here. Oh well, one season at a time right! 

What I can't wait for is all the grilling that will happen this summer. I have already pulled the grill out multiple times and it's not even June yet. Get ready for some heat this summer. :) I finally went out and bought myself a cast iron skillet. I have always wanted one, and now I have a great indoor grill. When I planned on making this dish the weather wasn't cooperating with me so I want happy to have this fantastic pan. It is great when the rain wants center stage over your grill. 





If you do have one of these awesome pans, oil it right before you set your food on. I made the mistake of oiling it a little early and by the time I placed the salmon on, it had all cooked off. Then I had a bit of a problem flipping, but I made it work. Do as I say, not as I do! :)





Smoky Grilled Salmon with Black Beans and Corn
Gina's Skinny Recipes


Ingredients:

For the salmon:
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 lime, juice of
4 (6oz) Alaskan wild pink or chum salmon fillets
olive oil spray
lime wedges for serving

For the black beans and corn:
15.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn kernels (fresh works too)
1/4 cup red onion, minced
3 tablespoon finely minced cilantro
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
kosher salt to taste

Directions:
  1. Combine all the spices in a small bowl. Squeeze lime juice over the salmon then run in the spices to completely coat; set aside to rest about 5 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute 2 minutes; add beans, corn, and salt and cook until heated through, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in cilantro and lime juice. Makes 3 1/2 cups.
  3. Heat a clean outdoor grill (make sure the grates are clean and lightly oiled) or if cooking indoors a lightly oiled grill pan over high heat. When hot, grill the salmon for about 5 minutes on each side or until the fish is opaque throughout. Serve with black beans, corn and lime wedges. 
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition: (1 salmon, 2/3 cup veggies) Calories 399; Fat 8.7g; Carb 41.3g; Fiber 8.2g; Protein 45.4g; Sodium 824.5mg

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...