Friday, May 25, 2012

Turkey Tacos


It's Memorial Day weekend! Hope everyone has great plans. Whether it's going for a grilling picnic at the park, or chilling at home and grilling in your back yard. Either way it's a weekend to thank all of the brave men and women that put on a military uniform. This weekend definitely means a lot more to me now that my better half is overseas serving for his country. I have always been thankful because my grandpa served as a marine, but now I know the inner feelings of a military family and I am proud of all its members.

This is great recipe for this kind of weekend. It may not be a grilling recipe, but it's great for large gatherings or a dinner for two. I always go to this recipe when I am craving tacos, or just a quick dish to whip up after work. 

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!



This may look strange to you, but I swear my family has been doing this since I could remember. Whenever we make tacos I have always heated my tortillas by laying them on a heated burner. It takes practice and quick hands to not burn the tortillas. I know this sounds weird, but this method seems to give the tortillas a slightly smoky taste, and I love the burn marks! 

Turkey Tacos

Ingredients:

For the filling:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 jalapeno, diced (seeded if desired)
homemade or store bought taco seasoning*
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
salt and pepper to taste
8 small corn tortillas

Some options for topping:
salsa
lettuce
cheese
tomatoes
roasted corn (I used a frozen roasted corn from Trader Joe's, and heated it through on the stove)

*For my own taco seasoning I used: 
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin 
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

You can change the measurements to your own tastes. 

Directions:
  1. Heat olive oil in non stick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and cook until translucent, about 1 minute. Add garlic, cook until fragrant. 
  2. Add ground turkey to pan, season with a little salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink. Add taco seasoning, jalapenos, and cilantro. Cook until heated through and to your liking. Remove from heat and cover.
  3. If you have an electric oven: turn burner down to medium. Quickly and carefully lay corn tortillas on burner for only 1 second on each side. Repeat flipping on each side until floppy and browned slightly. Be careful as it will smoke a little, turn on fan over oven. 
  4. Take about 1/4 cup turkey mixture and place it in the middle of a tortilla, then top with your choice of taco toppings. 
Makes 8 tacos.
Nutrition: (per taco, without toppings. only tortillas and turkey) Calories 236; Fat 10g; Carb 20g; Protein 20g; Cholesterol 67mg; Fiber 2g



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...